Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Is a medals recipient important to you

Article about: So I think my collecting is going to centre on medals mainly at the moment. Having looked at possible purchases I was wondering if people think what the recipient did in the war has bearing

Default Is a medals recipient important to you

So I think my collecting is going to centre on medals mainly at the moment. Having looked at possible purchases I was wondering if people think what the recipient did in the war has bearing if you would purchase it or do you see everyone as equal importance? Interested in peoples views. Will give mine later.

If I had to choose and the condition being equal, between a named medal,helmet,grouping I will choose the named item. The reason for choosing a named piece is the history and research and most importantly that person will be remembered and his or her actions,memories will be carried on.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    If I had to choose and the condition being equal, between a named medal,helmet,grouping I will choose the named item. The reason for choosing a named piece is the history and research and most importantly that person will be remembered and his or her actions,memories will be carried on.
    Marty
    But if it was say between a painter in a RAF unit and a pilot, who is more important?

Both served their country honorable, I relate it to my church the person sweeping the floor is just as important than the one preaching the Word of God, both function to serve the greater good.
    As for collecting and for resale in the future as the world goes the pilots medals would be more desirable,I would believe.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Collect the one that looks the best to you at the time. Don't worry about
    what others think. Collect like items that "speak to you" . You will get much
    more enjoyment from your collection by doing this.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Well think about it. Perhaps That painters job painting a plane could of saved a pilots life , or multiple pilots lives from being distorted from AA guns.

I'd say more desirable units are more important value-wise rather than historically. Medals from famous and prestigious units will always command more, but they're no less historically valuable. A mechanic who worked on an airfield, servicing and rearming planes, was every bit as important as the man behind the yoke. The same goes for any of the fighting forces, for any country. All of them did their bit, however insignificant it may seem.

Saying that, unnamed medals will be somewhat less desirable, as the personal history behind them is lost unless they come directly from the recipient. This is especially true of British WWII medals, the vast majority of which were unnamed. If you're lucky, you find a grouping with their original box, which allows you to at least put a name to them. That's part of the reason I've started to venture into WWI medals, as they're almost always engraved with the name, service number, rank and regiment of the man they were awarded to.

The key thing is to collect what makes you happy. The most important thing is that you're pleased with the collection you're building. It is, after all, a hobby. As long as you're enjoying the things you collect, that's all that matters.

B.B.

Thanks everyone. I only asked question as saw medals for a raf painter and initially disregarded it but realised myself that he was just as important as everyone else. Sell on value is not important to me but finding some information about person definitely is. I think medals with names I can trace is best way to go. Thanks for all your thoughts.