Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Memoirs of German soldiers

Article about: Hey Polski44 have you read that book? I would love to know

Default Re: Memoirs of German soldiers

Hey Polski44 have you read that book? I would love to know

Quote by Cobra den Bien Phieu View Post
    Hey ! its OK HPL2008 I was expecting someone to say that ha ha ha "All quiet on western front" is a great book as well but I would love to know if anyone has read "All quiet on the Eastern Front"
    which also reminds me of another great ww1 book "Johnny got his gun " I should stick to German but that book really got you thinking about war and there was a great twist in the end
    Yes, that is another great one.
    While this is not the actual subject of the book, I was particularly impressed by the the contrast between the extreme hopelessness, bleakness and utter horror of Johnny's truly terrible physical condition and the way he manages to partially compensate for his lost senses, learning to tell day from night by the warmth of the sunshine or to tell different people apart from their steps etc.
    Totally believable and in a way inspiring.

Seanpmc1
    ?

Not WWII, but "Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills" by Charles Henderson is an excellent account of Carlos Hathcock's time in Vietnam.

Carlos died a few years ago, but there is a three part interview with him on Youtube.

?

"All quiet on western front" was that a German absorver said in a movie from the 60's and the movie called "the longist day"?

The forgotten soldier as been my favorite book since I was at the school.
    I would like to suggest the books written by SAINT LOUP, nick name of Marc Augier, former propagand officer for "devenir" the magazine of the french volunteer in the W.SS. SAIN LOUP wrote at least 3 books telling the story of the L.V.F. and the SS CHARLEMAGNE. Unforgetable is the one named "LES ERETIQUES", the story of 33rd ss Division. I double checked the contentof the book with many other sources of information and it is reliable and well detailed in the description of the fighting in Berlin. Absolutely good is the portrait of the human characters whom acted during that heroic deeds.
    cheers

This is a great thread, especially for someone like myself that loves books, especially from a german point of view!

I actually took notes and wrote down every book you all mentioned in here but now I dont know which one to start with. My local chapters can order me "Blood red snow" by Gunther Koschorrek.

Also is "The forgotten soldier" fiction or? Keep them coming folks.

*A bit offtopic but WW2 aviation related, has anyone read The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann? This book is really amazing and i've read it several times!

For me my favourites are "Iron Coffins" -by Herbert Werner, a brilliant insight to life on a U Boat

"Servants of Evil" by Bob Carruthers, includes lots of memoirs from German soldiers...and of course "Blood Red Snow"

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    For me my favourites are "Iron Coffins" -by Herbert Werner, a brilliant insight to life on a U Boat

"Servants of Evil" by Bob Carruthers, includes lots of memoirs from German soldiers...and of course "Blood Red Snow"

Nick
    Thanks for the heads up on the U boat book. Seems to me that Blood Red Snow has a pretty strong following here. I'll have to get this book.

?

striker, here is some good books i have read, Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck(my favorit) The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony beevor, Voices from Stalingrad. These all are good.
    sam

Quote by Sam11 View Post
    striker, here is some good books i have read, Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck(my favorit) The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony beevor, Voices from Stalingrad. These all are good.
    sam
    Panzer commander is readily available. I see it everywhere in the book stores. I've read Beevors "Stalingrad" and it was a great book.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast