Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Memorial Day 2013

Article about: Just a small reminder of what this day is supposed to be commemorating. Sadly, it seems to be degenerating into a day of backyard BBQ parties and big shopping days... In Flanders Field In Fl

Default Memorial Day 2013

Just a small reminder of what this day is supposed to be commemorating. Sadly, it seems to be degenerating into a day of backyard BBQ parties and big shopping days...

In Flanders Field

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

by
    Lt Col. John A. McCrae

Lieutenant Colonel John Alexander McCrae was a Canadian poet, physician, author, artist and soldier during World War I and a surgeon during the Second Battle of Ypres, in Belgium. McCrae wrote "In Flanders Fields" on May 3, 1915, the day after presiding over the funeral and burial of his friend Lieutenant Alex Helmer, who had been killed during the Second battle of Ypres. The poem was written as he sat upon the back of a medical field ambulance near an advance dressing post at Essex Farm, just north of Ypres. The poppy, which was a central feature of the poem, grew in great numbers in the spoiled earth of the battlefields and cemeteries of Flanders. McCrae later discarded the poem, but it was saved by a fellow officer and sent in to Punch Magazine, which published it later that year.McCrae died of pneumonia on January 28, 1918, while still commanding No. 3 Canadian General Hospital (McGill) at Boulogne-Sur-Mer
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default Re: Memorial Day 2013

not for all the town i live near is port ewen new york i am a fire fighter in esopus and was the color guard for the day the whole parade and all thoguhs who attended followed to the cemetery and we had a ceremony for all the past away soldier and the legion members who where with us !! it was very moving and we had many veterans with us !! the old legion members fired of their garands and the school band played the tradition songs and us fire man who had been picked for color guard stood in form in front of the flag !! it was a very touching celebration and broguht many to tears who attended !!

Sadly Holidays of remembrance and Honor....have turned into an excuse to get drunk. None are observed anymore by a great majority of people.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

My father never should have made it out of korea alive, just 18 yrs old, minus 30 temp, surrounded by and fighting off wave after wave of chinese with his friends dying all around him, but he was one of the very few to escape the chosin reservoir, those are shoes I could never fill, sadly cancer became his enemy at 78 and eventually won. RIP POPS
    IMAG1229.jpg

?

Regards,
    John

?

Well said Larry days of remembrance and the honoring of are vets and are fallen unfortunately seem's to be forgotten by many and are looked upon as a holiday

Regards Mark K

?

As I do several times a year, in an attempt to show support and respect to our veterans - I just made a sizable donation to one of my favorite charities. This organization does a world of good for our returning injured. May I suggest, that those like minded individuals make a small donation in honor of the day.

Wounded Warrior Project - Wounded Warrior Project

MD3.JPG
    Regards,
    John

Today I marched in the parade and took part in the ceremony in my hometown, with some of my fellow Veterans. The good news is that there were a few of us younger Veterans (early 40s and under) show up. My 90 year old WWII Dad was also there. I'd love to see this day start to be taken more serious, like I remember when I was child and there were multitudes of WWII Veterans and a handful of Veterans from the Great War in attendance.
    Mark

We do not celebrate Memorial Day here in Canada the way it's done in
    the States, but on Saturday May 25 our small community museum
    hosted a day in commemoration of Korean War Vets.

There were several Veterans in attendance, Including Frank Stagg
    ( shown below ) a Veteran of WWII and D-Day.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Steve.

Its not about the free food and beer at the BBQ...its about the cost for the BBQ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill