Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mensur scar tradition.

Article about: 'Slightly' OT thread hence in this forum. This is not an expression of fascination with the Mensur tradition - Im more intrigued with a mentality that made men actively pursue these scars an

?

Default Re: Mensur scar tradition.

Tychsen has very distinctive scars and for some reason, I thought of him in regards to this thread, but Im pretty sure, that his scars on the chin are battle scars from the Eastern Front (Grenade? Though Im happy to be corrected - so much false info out there and other info lost in 'the fog of war').

Quote by Scout View Post
    Tychsen has very distinctive scars and for some reason, I thought of him in regards to this thread, but Im pretty sure, that his scars on the chin are battle scars from the Eastern Front (Grenade? Though Im happy to be corrected - so much false info out there and other info lost in 'the fog of war').
    You're right: The deep scars on Tychsen's chin were the results of facial injuries suffered when he was hit by shrapnel from a Soviet shell on 12 February 1942.

?

A interesting article (at least I thought so) about the background and the 'Schmiss' (the scar) from Pickelhauben.net

Colonel J's - Articles -student societies

Quote by big ned View Post
    Here's a very long and epic thread from AHF regarding injuries to German combatants during and before WW2. Many of them are bearing Mensur scars, and there is some explanation to their meaning and how they were obtained prior to the banning of the practice in 1956. I think that ban may have since been lifted, but i'm not sure, and you don't really see guys with them these days so I may well be wrong on that.

Axis History Forum • Everlasting Scars/Wounds Of Third Reich Personalities

Regards, Ned.
    Ned the practice is still a live in Germany and Austria .
    there was a report on that probably a few years back .
    chris

?

A few pics of the 'regalia'....

BTW Hans Martin Schleyer was at Heidelberg and Im pretty certain his scar was a 'Schmiss' as well.
    No need to recount the details of his murder here, as I dont want this to get political.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Hell. I'd slice them across the face for a couple of cold beers and mayby a nice picklehaub.

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Some more scarred german soldiers...

Nick
    So! That's why he finally grew that ugly fuzzy beard! I always wondered...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Headline News from Das Schwarze Korps: "SS Dr. Lardschneider of the Prinz Eugen Division while out drinking schnapps with friends forgets how to ride a bicycle....swears everyone present on pain of death to afterwards testify he was dueling...."
    lardschneider.jpg
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I know two guys that got them in the pass 3 years.
    chris

?

Tradition still alive and well then....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2