Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Mikhail Kalashnikov dies at 94

Article about: http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/

Quote by James C View Post
    lars that is not stirring at all ,in fact very diplomatic ,nice live shooting pictures by the way ,i blame paul ,he wouldnt let it lie
    Yup it's all my fault and i am a worm!... I got to fire an AKM a couple of years ago at Krakow, the shooting range was advertised in one of the tourist information offices and i got to fire one mag on semi auto and two on fully auto. I can't wait to go back and try again!..

What is the problem with the term 'assault rifle'?-that is what the literal translation of the German 'Sturm Gewehr' is-the whole concept of the weapon is that of a rifle that uses a shortened/lower powered round that allows the individual soldier to fire fully automatic during the advance to suppress the enemy, a task previously done by SMGs.

?

Yeah but this term is being heavily misused to brand all sorts of semi auto rifles as being "evil firearms". Now a Ruger 10-22, semi auto AR/AK platform etc can be branded as an "Assault Rifle". So i prefer not to use it. However i would think most forum members will of course interpret the assault rifle term correctly.

Is the H&K G3 a shortened lower powered round assault rifle chambered for the 7.62x51? LOL

Merry Christmas

Lars

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Yeah but this term is being heavily misused to brand all sorts of semi auto rifles as being "evil firearms". Now a Ruger 10-22, semi auto AR/AK platform etc can be branded as an "Assault Rifle". So i prefer not to use it. However i would think most forum members will of course interpret the assault rifle term correctly.

Is the H&K G3 a shortened lower powered round assault rifle chambered for the 7.62x51? LOL

Merry Christmas

Lars
    Yup Lars the G3 is chambered for 7.62×51mm NATO!...
    Heckler & Koch G3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

I know Gunny. Used it in the Army. The Danish Army rented them from Germany for 1 Danish Kroner a day LOL

The thing was just that Lithgow wrote "the whole concept of the weapon is that of a rifle that uses a shortened/lower powered round that allows the individual soldier to fire fully automatic......." Then my question was if the NATO round in question is a lower powered round Well compared to a .50 BMG it might be but...

Cheers

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I know Gunny. Used it in the Army. The Danish Army rented them from Germany for 1 Danish Kroner a day LOL

The thing was just that Lithgow wrote "the whole concept of the weapon is that of a rifle that uses a shortened/lower powered round that allows the individual soldier to fire fully automatic......." Then my question was if the NATO round in question is a lower powered round Well compared to a .50 BMG it might be but...

Cheers
    Gotcha!.....

The NATO round rifles like the FAL/SLR, G3, M14 etc were Automatic Rifles in the tradition of earlier types, not assault rifles-most armies that used them still had SMGs and indeed some also used M16s as well-in Australia, the infantry section included 2 F1 SMGs or later M16A1s, the Bren or M60 and 6 or 7 SLRs-the transition to AK type assault rifles doesn't take place till 5.56mm weapons are adopted as general issue, first by the US then other western forces over 20 years or so.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    For better or worse, his was certainly one of the two best-known and most widely-spread inventions of the 20th century. (The other being those white one-piece plastic chairs.)
    Don't forget the little plastic clip on your bread packet....

?

Some peoples discussing about the used technologies on the AK 47, but I guess none will say that Walter steals technology from Schmeisser, on the MkB rifles. There was just a army request to constructors. At least nothing very special was opened by all of the constructors, they just take some ideas from other guns
    the system of exhaust tube over the barrel was firstly used on the SVT 40 and AVS -36 guns, high muzzles, again from the same guns. Mag Ribeyrolle m18 And Fedorov automatic rifle m16. Pistol like grip- Thiompson m28 and Lewis machinegun m15
    What was a specific of the German Stg, which is not reproduced anymore is a barrel centered in one line with the butt, and the spring located inside the butt.
    check this pictures of unknown Soviet weapon.
    for example here is a other guns from Soviet constructors
    AS- 44, AB- 45 AT -45
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Surely the first place to this new class weapon are given to the 2 other well known German constructors. If the Sudaev will not died, then most probably we' ll never heard about the Kalashnikov. What he is made, is good comparision of different great ideas of other constructors, plus his own - the born of a cheaper in production and stable working weapon. And not such a "ultimative childs" of the constructors like Borhardt and H.Maxim...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast