Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Missing aircrew found in Germany

Article about: A discovery from Germany, the crew has been missing since the crash except for two of then recovered at the time. For 71 years, the bodies of Eastbourne airman Sergeant Peter Buck and four o

Default Missing aircrew found in Germany

A discovery from Germany, the crew has been missing since the crash except for two of then recovered at the time.

For 71 years, the bodies of Eastbourne airman Sergeant Peter Buck and four other brave servicemen have been trapped inside the lost wreckage of a bomber plane after it crashed in the dead of night during World War Two.

Now, in a shock discovery, the ill-fated wreckage has been found in a marsh near Gollin, Germany, providing a long-awaited moment of closure for the families and prompting them to demand a proper burial for their loved ones from the Government.

Seven men were deployed for a night raid over Nazi Germany on August 23, 1943 but never returned home after their Halifax HR980 bomber was struck from the ground, crushed on impact and plunged into the marsh.

Two of the seven servicemen were pulled from the wreckage by enemy soldiers and buried in the Berlin 1939-1945 war cemetery, but the remaining five were deemed ‘missing’ and were left to lie in the sunken aircraft for the next seven decades.

A team of German archaeologists found the bomber crash site in 2002 and scoured the area for years but to no avail. Now, 12 years later, it is only thanks to the marsh drying up that the wreckage has been pushed to the surface and discovered.

The German archaeologists have been granted permission to recover the wreckage and bodies - a project that will cost £50,000.

As well as asking for a proper burial for their brave relatives, the families of the servicemen are urging the British Government to contribute some money to help fund the excavation.

Sgt Peter Buck, son of Arthur and Gladys Buck of Eastbourne, lost his life on the Halifax HR980 and his sister, Pat Davies, reflects on hearing the news and also calls for Government action.

The 93-year-old Eastbourne resident told the Daily Mail Online, “It would be a nice thing for them to finally be laid to rest in a proper burial.

“I think the government should do something - they went down protecting the country and doing their duty. Peter really loved flying and the crew were great friends.

“We just weren’t told anything at the time - it was quite extraordinary. One letter came and said the plane went down and roughly where it happened. That is all we ever heard.

“We never had any more details about what had happened to them after that.”

While the Ministry of Defence doesn’t fund archaeological digs of historic aircrafts, a spokesman confirmed that if human remains are found on board, the MoD will fund a burial in the local area where the remains were found and support close family members attending a funeral service, if appropriate with a level of official ceremonial support.

Airmen found after 70 years - Eastbourne Herald
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I just love it when we find these lost brave boys !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Good article, cheers for posting Jerry!...

Fred Green
    ?

Hello,

Awesome story!! A search team found the wreckage of my mother's cousin's plane near Palau 2 years ago. The remains of the crew were buried in Arlington.

Fred

Rest In Peace Brave lads!

This paragraph disappoints me a bit:

"While the Ministry of Defence doesn’t fund archaeological digs of historic aircrafts, a spokesman confirmed that if human remains are found on board, the MoD will fund a burial in the local area where the remains were found and support close family members attending a funeral service, if appropriate with a level of official ceremonial support."

I am glad they still support close family members to attend a funeral service, but that they won't help recover the remains for a proper burial is a bit sad.

Just my thoughts, other may differ?

Quote by TestMatch View Post

"While the Ministry of Defence doesn’t fund archaeological digs of historic aircrafts, a spokesman confirmed that if human remains are found on board, the MoD will fund a burial in the local area where the remains were found and support close family members attending a funeral service, if appropriate with a level of official ceremonial support."

I am glad they still support close family members to attend a funeral service, but that they won't help recover the remains for a proper burial is a bit sad.

I congratulate the German work and its search team but im a bit shocked with the British Ministry of Defense....

I have to agree about what seems to be a poor response from the MOD, tight gits IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I have to agree about what seems to be a poor response from the MOD, tight gits IMHO.
    I do feel quite ashamed to believe that our own MOD doesn't give a toss either for our lost boys..........

?

Good article Jerry

?

Quote by TestMatch View Post

Typical of the attitude of the MOD shiny arse penpushers , cost above everything else !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast