Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My friends totally chewed me out for saying I've collected some things from the Third Reich

Article about: You figure people would freak out when they see Russian stuff.. Considering how "good " their past is. The major reason nazis are hated is becuase of the Holocuast(reslulted in 6 m

Default My friends totally chewed me out for saying I've collected some things from the Third Reich

My friends have known for awhile about some of the American-type things I have, and they've thought it was all damn cool, my m1 helmet, the medal or two that I own, the pearl harbor newspaper clipping, but the SECOND that I told them that I owned a nazi armband, I casually told them on facebook, they all FREAKED OUT and started sending me hateful messages about how, if I'm a nazi, they can't be my friend anymore, and since I support nazis that I'm not going to have any friends anymore, they TOTALLY got the wrong idea. That doesn't even make any sense, why jump to conclusions like that? I just thought I would write it here among fellow collectors.

Default re: My friends totally chewed me out for saying I've collected some things from the Third Reich

Awesome, I had the same thing happen to me. Less than 2% of the German front line troops fighting and dying in battle belonged to the NAZI Party. Without getting too technical, The Versailles Treaty was a flawed document. The German people got screwed royally. There was no way they could ever have fullfilled the requirements of the treaty. I am not an apologist for Germany or the war they started, but the German people lived through some terrible times until Hitler came to power. He gave the German people faith again, and great pride in their country. Most Germans just wanted the land back that was taken from them after WWI, and their pride restored. The vast majority of Germans absolutely did not want another war. Unfortunately, sinister men controlled the Third Reich, and we all know how that turned out. I have talked to many German veterans, and they were fighting for their country just like Americans were fighting for the U.S. With Dr. Goebbel's great propaganda, few knew what the truth really was. As for the Holocaust, that's a whole different story. In my opinion, the German Army of WWII was one of the best trained, most disciplined armies in the modern era. An evil leader used them for evil purposes, and unfortunately they will only be remembered as the "Bad Guys" for eternity. Don't let your friends bother you. They are simply lemmings following the crowd of people uneducated in history. Read as many books on the subject as you can, and show them the light of day.

Jay

Default re: My friends totally chewed me out for saying I've collected some things from the Third Reich

Maybe it was that I said I owned a nazi armband rather than a bit of wehrmacht clothing. Or maybe being entirely uneducated about the subject, they just figured german = evil, I don't know, But I really I hope that I can get what you just said through to them some how. My friends have done some pretty crazy things and said some pretty crazy things too, and I have never reacted they way they reacted to me. I just can't imagine such a big deal being made out of something so small.

Its not a SMALL deal when talking about NAZI items... Thats was your first mistake!
    When explaining to my friends/family/customers I ALWAYS say I collect WW2 German Military items. This is many peoples minds doesnt conjure up the NAZI's as they immediately thing, guns, uniforms etc & think about the historical item.

Just send this to your friends:

I wish to stress that I have no affiliation with any political party, past or present, and I most definitely do not condone the actions of Nazi Germany.
    My collecting of WW2 militaria US or German is purely for historical purposes.
    Sorry if I offended you without explaining this beforehand.

Good luck mate.

Quote by Awesome View Post
    Maybe it was that I said I owned a nazi armband rather than a bit of wehrmacht clothing. Or maybe being entirely uneducated about the subject, they just figured german = evil, I don't know, But I really I hope that I can get what you just said through to them some how. My friends have done some pretty crazy things and said some pretty crazy things too, and I have never reacted they way they reacted to me. I just can't imagine such a big deal being made out of something so small.
    Hello "awesome" Maybe you can ask Jay if you can use what he said above, copy and paste it on this "facebook" and these uninformed "friends" of yours might like you again! What Jay has said is true and correct, and said very well for a "regular" person to understand.

I agree that with you saying "Nazi" armband, some get the wrong idea. WW2 German or something else maybe like you suggest above will be much better received. It is always good to also let people know you are preserving "history" for future generations etc, and that you are also a historian.

I do not really know what facebook is, I have heard of it, but I do not think these people you communicate with on facebook are really your "good friends" are they? My real friends I can count on one hand or less.

Regards, Steve

Quote by bikerboyzx6r View Post
    Just send this to your friends:

I wish to stress that I have no affiliation with any political party, past or present, and I most definitely do not condone the actions of Nazi Germany.
    My collecting of WW2 militaria US or German is purely for historical purposes.
    Sorry if I offended you without explaining this beforehand.

Good luck mate.
    This is also very good.

Regards, Steve

?

Hi guys,
    I think that a big problem is where you live, individual prejudices and LACK OF KNOWLEDGE, (sorry for shouting).
    I am old enough to remember playing on bomb sites and in old air raid shelters as a kid.
    My parents and grandparents never hid the war from me.
    I have never made any secret of the fact that I have an interest in WW2 and the British and German armies in particular. I have a huge range of books, a lot of which relate to the SS, and I have never, knowingly, had any problems/prejudices thrown against me because of them.
    As one of my old teachers used to say to us, education is the key to information and true knowledge!
    Regards etc
    Ian

I have a somewhat strange outlook on this matter. I enjoy looking at the collections and history of WW II. To be totally honest, When I hear nazi and particularly ss, I know those items aren't for me. I know it's history that should not be forgotten or repeated. The ss uniforms in my humble opinion are stunning, they scream MILITARY, but it's hard to get my brain around millions of exterminated people. A 98 Mauser, P38, or Luger I'm all over it, but uniforms like that although impressive just spook me. I have some small bit of knowledge on this subject, em·pha·siz·ing "SMALL". People who have absolutely no know knowledge regarding it naturally will jump to conclusions. I'm glad people like you all collect these items, I enjoy seeing it, but owning it is another story.

Pals
    Mike

Quote by Pompa Mike View Post
    I have a somewhat strange outlook on this matter. I enjoy looking at the collections and history of WW II. To be totally honest, When I hear nazi and particularly ss, I know those items aren't for me. I know it's history that should not be forgotten or repeated. The ss uniforms in my humble opinion are stunning, they scream MILITARY, but it's hard to get my brain around millions of exterminated people. A 98 Mauser, P38, or Luger I'm all over it, but uniforms like that although impressive just spook me. I have some small bit of knowledge on this subject, em·pha·siz·ing "SMALL". People who have absolutely no know knowledge regarding it naturally will jump to conclusions. I'm glad people like you all collect these items, I enjoy seeing it, but owning it is another story.

Pals
    Mike
    I find it strange that you are all over Guns that were actually designed to kill, but find the uniforms uncollectable. This is just my opinion but feel the 2 go hand in hand. I am a collector of all WW2 military artifacts so your opinion I respect fully but dont understand... to me its all or nothing

my flat is full of nazi stuffand other collectibles and i still cried when i saw a pic of jewish girls ready to be executed.its the historical thing only and some people dont understand.I know people who wont collect american things because of viEtnam and hiroshima.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast