Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My trip to U-995 in the newspaper

Article about: Some great pics of how the U-534 should have stayed: intact U-534 @ Birkenhead. (Caution- Photo Intensive)

?

Default Re: My trip to U-995 in the newspaper

Some great pics of how the U-534 should have stayed: intact
    U-534 @ Birkenhead. (Caution- Photo Intensive)

Quote by Scout View Post
    Some great pics of how the U-534 should have stayed: intact
    U-534 @ Birkenhead. (Caution- Photo Intensive)
    superb thread scout ,i wonder if they used a tungstun carbide cable for the cutting similar to the one used on the kursk
    Regards James

?

Thank you all for sharing you pic's of your U boat venture's. Just awesome to see them!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by col james View Post
    superb thread scout ,i wonder if they used a tungstun carbide cable for the cutting similar to the one used on the kursk
    Hi James, I think they used a diamond wire cutter, according to Wiki anyways.

It was a really big shame they had to cut it into pieces, I used to drive past it on many occasions in the past but was not that interested in those days.
    At least what’s left of it is in a fitting location; the Atlantic Convoys were based out of Liverpool so there is no better historical connection really

These images are quite graphic in content,, I hate to see anything cut apart with historical significance I just wishe someone other with a fatter bilfold of cash would of made the extra effort to move it as a whole. They can do it with houses and airplanes,,they can sure do it with this. I can see maybe disassembling the conning tower if possible,, and reattaching it at its final place of display...but cutting it apart IMO is not an option.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Guys
    I think the thread has gone badly off topic.
    Its just my opinion.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Hi James, I think they used a diamond wire cutter, according to Wiki anyways.

It was a really big shame they had to cut it into pieces, I used to drive past it on many occasions in the past but was not that interested in those days.
    At least what’s left of it is in a fitting location; the Atlantic Convoys were based out of Liverpool so there is no better historical connection really
    Who ever made the decision to cut it up needs their ar*e kicked !....

Nuno would you be able to translate some or all of the article,, to add to the thread? I feel the comments made so far are worthy and the photos added by Colt are a plus. Maybe a translation will keep a central focus on your thread. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Who ever made the decision to cut it up needs their ar*e kicked !....
    I am surprised the scousers did not cut it up themselves and sell it off for scrap !! haha

?

Nuno is correct, the thread is about U-995, not U-534.

A translation of the article would be very useful if at all possible?

If things go well I hope to make a trip to see U-995 at some point in the next couple of months so thank you for posting the photos and link.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast