Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My uncles WWII USS Savannah bombing sculpture and plaque

Article about: My beloved uncle Clay LaMar Hanners served on the USS Savannah when it was bombed by the first aerial bomb used in the war. He was in the crows nest when his ship was bombed and he put this

Default My uncles WWII USS Savannah bombing sculpture and plaque

My beloved uncle Clay LaMar Hanners served on the USS Savannah when it was bombed by the first aerial bomb used in the war. He was in the crows nest when his ship was bombed and he put this piece of the bomb in his pocket when he returned to deck. I am very interested in knowing the types of German shells mounted on this sculpture that my uncle had made after they reached port. Thanks in advance for your help and bless all of those on this forum who served in any war anywhere on this precious planet. P1380872.jpgP1380874.jpg

Default Re: My uncles WWII USS Savannah bombing sculpture and plaque

Here's a photo of the guided bomb responsible, the 'Fritz-X'. This one is at the Aerospace Museum, Cosford of which i am a member.

Also, a photo of the U.S.S. Savannah at the actual moment of impact. The crows nest is immediately above the explosion, lucky guy...

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Neat piece.
    Great photos Ned.
    SteveR

?

They are probably 8mm mauser and 9mm luger cartridges on the sculpture.Nice pic Neddie.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thank you so much. I do remember that my uncle mentioned the 8mm mauser shells but I totally forgot about the luger cartridges. Cheers.

Thanks. Modern camera technology is great.

Wow! The photo of the USS Savannah is incredible. To even imagine my uncle up in the crows next at the time of impact brings tears to my eyes. Evidently there were also several PT boats on each side of the ship full of men but they are hard to see in this shot. They were, tragically, erased from this earth in an instant-but not from our hearts. I so loved my uncle's stories.

More photo's of the aftermath of the strike. The ship listing and on fire after one of her magazines blew up.

The crew fighting the blaze...

Some of the 194 crewmen who didn't make it...R.I.P.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Greetings Big Ned,
    I have shared your photos with so many family members. Thank you again for these marvelous reminders of the terror, agony and victory of war. My sons and I keep looking in the crows nest for my beloved uncle. Is it possible that dark figure in photo 243636 is actually my uncle? It is hard to tell--a figure looking down in shock or something else? I do know for a fact that he was in the crows nest before the bomb hit and for several minutes afterwards until he could get his brain in gear enough to climb down. What do you think? Do you know if there are special groups of servicemen based on ships on which they served? I would love to get in contact with any of my uncle's shipmates. Thanks again for taking the time to enrich our lives. Warm regards, Linda Hall

Hi Linda,

Thankyou for your kind words, it makes things worthwhile and means a lot. I have not been able to find a vet's association for the old USS Savannah, only the newer one. But i have found this interesting piece of footage taken during the attack and it's aftermath. It really links us (and especially you and yours) to the events of that day, and as such is a fascinating and palpable insight to events on the Savannah that day many years ago, when so many young men paid the ultimate price for their country and the greater good.

Uss Savannah Cl-42)

Regards, Ned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast