Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My uncles WWII USS Savannah bombing sculpture and plaque

Article about: My beloved uncle Clay LaMar Hanners served on the USS Savannah when it was bombed by the first aerial bomb used in the war. He was in the crows nest when his ship was bombed and he put this

Default Re: My uncles WWII USS Savannah bombing sculpture and plaque

Hi,
    Brave men indeed, the trouble with being on board ship is there,s no were to run,
    Great story and great pics thanks to both for sharing this.
    dave.

Hi Big Ned,

This video is such a powerful reminder of the vulnerable nature of war and the sacrifices of so many. It can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Thank you for all of the work you have invested to seek out lost memories from the past on behalf of my family. Yes, indeed, it provides palpable insights to these events. At this moment, my heart lies somewhere between its normal location and my mouth. Ha. I have met so many WWII and Vietnam veterans in my chaplain work who are suffering mightily. I imagine it takes at least a lifetime to be healed from such horror. I yearn to work in a VA Hospital setting but these jobs are difficult to land, so to speak. What do you think about the dark figure in the crows nest in photo 243636? It could be a blurred human - my beloved uncle but I do not know what other large objects might be located in a crows nest. I know it took him several minutes to come to grips with what he was seeing down below. Thanks again, Big Ned. You are our hero. Warm regards, Linda

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry to say that what looks like a figure in the crows nest is actually part of the ships radar/comms system. Take a closer look at the flying bridge and the size of it's windows compared to the 'figure' in the nest, it's not compatible i'm afraid. There are other photo's of the same shot out on the web where you can zoom in a lot closer and see crew members on the deck and superstructure who are well smaller than what could be interperated as a crewman in the crows nest.

But hey, how many folks have what you've already discovered, not many that's for sure! When you look at the photo's you can actually pinpoint where your uncle was at that dramatic split second in time so many years ago now, and that is a rare and priviliged position to be in, is it not?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Yes, indeed. And we are thankful, very grateful to you. Warm regards, Linda

Greetings to you as Thanksgiving draws near,

How are you, Ned? I hope all is well with you and your family. I was just reviewing some of the video footage via the link you provided to World News open video. I want to alert you to the fact that the list of videos of the USS Savannah bombing was recently updated this past August and more have been posted by the nephew of one of the men rescued after 60 hours in the hole. I would love to get in touch with this nephew but I can find no link on the World News site. If you know him or of him, will you kindly forward my wish to be in contact? I am so grateful for your time and energy to provide my family with such heart warming and heart breaking information, photos and videos. Thanks again from the bottom of my heart. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones. We surely have much for which to be thankful. Warm regards, Linda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2