Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My War Comics Collection

Article about: I was going to post this on the "what else besides militaria do you collect" thread, but it will be a long one by the time I've finished! I especially like Korean War era war comic

Default My War Comics Collection

I was going to post this on the "what else besides militaria do you collect" thread, but it will be a long one by the time I've finished! I especially like Korean War era war comics, not necessarily for the stories, but the covers. The level of racist hysteria on some of these comic covers would do Dr Paul Joseph Goebbels proud I'll start off with US Paratroops #3 - Jun 1952, from the long gone Avon Periodicals. Check out the US Para shooting the commie pilot right out of his cockpit while still in his parachute! Only a US Para could do that!

US Paratroops #3 - Jun 1952.JPG

Default Re: My War Comics Collection

Here is 12 o'clock High #1 - Jan 1965, from the late, great Dell Comics. In the 60s and 70s Dell led the way with photo covers from tv shows, some of them are excellent. You don't see them anymore like this, which is a shame. I really like photo comic covers, and will often buy them just for the cover. However, this one is a bonus, because it has AN EXCITING WAR STORY, as opposed to a dull one! This tv show was pretty good IIRC, although I didn't see it until the early 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_...igh_(TV_series)

12 o'clock High #1 - Jan 1965.JPG
    Last edited by Troy Tempest; 04-07-2012 at 11:53 PM.

?

Very nice! I wish I still had my 12 O'Clock High comics.Well,wish I had all of my comics. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

I wish I had all my comics as well Rich, it would have saved me from buying them all over again! Perhaps it's your sadness over the loss of your comics that has led you to be deluded, nay, severely deluded, about the GT-500 being King of the Road, when everyone knows it's a '69 Hemi Charger

Next is my Flyboy #5 - 1954, from St John Publishing.

Flyboy #5 - 1954.JPG

4md
    ?

very cool, i still have all my commando comics from when i was a kid, the cover artwork was outstanding.
    Our newsagent never got the U.S comics only the British ones for some reason

regards Paul

I still buy Commando each fortnight, along with others. My comic budget is $50 p/w. Here is my Warfront #6 - May 1952 See how the plucky GIs deal with the RED LICE!!

Warfront #6 - May 1952.JPG

?

Yaay, ive got about 300 Commando books, some very early ones which always had the better graphics, but the newer ones seemed to lose that look, there were also the Battle series which were thicker more reading etc, i had nearly the whole series at one time, but i now get them from boot fairs etc

I love war comics !! Here is my childhood collection of Warlord

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

4md
    ?

Never seen Warlord before, 5p now thats a good buy