Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Nazi nuclear weapon lab

Article about: Anyone seen The Devil's Rock? The Devil's Rock (2011) - IMDb

Anyone seen The Devil's Rock?

The Devil's Rock (2011) - IMDb

Here is a similar story from 2011

German nuclear experts believe they have found nuclear waste from Hitler’s secret atom bomb programme in a crumbling mine near Hanover.

More than 126,000 barrels of nuclear material lie rotting over 2,000 feet below ground in an old salt mine.
    Rumour has it that the remains of nuclear scientists who worked on the Nazi programme are also there, their irradiated bodies burned in secret by S.S. men sworn to secrecy.
    A statement by a boss of the Asse II nuclear fuel dump, just discovered in an archive, said how in 1967 'our association sank radioactive wastes from the last war, uranium waste, from the preparation of the German atom bomb.'
    This has sent shock waves through historians who thought that the German atomic programme was nowhere near advanced enough in WW2 to have produced nuclear waste in any quantities.
    It has also triggered a firestorm of uncertainty among locals, especially given Germany’s paranoia post-Fukushima.
    Germany was the first western nation to announce the closure of all its atomic power plants following the disaster at the Japanese facility following the catastrophic earthquake and Tsunami in March.
    There are calls to remove all the nuclear material stored within the sealed site but this would cost billions of pounds.
    Yet the thought of Nazi atomic bomb material stored underground has made headlines across Germany - and the country’s Greenpeace movement has backed a call for secret documents relating to the dump to be released to the state parliament from sealed archives in Berlin.
    It was in January of 1939, nine months before the outbreak of the Second World War, that German chemists Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann published the results of an historic experiment about nuclear fission.
    The German 'uranium project' began in earnest shortly after Germany’s invasion of Poland in September.
    Army physicist Kurt Diebner led a team tasked to investigate the military applications of fission. By the end of the year the physicist Werner Heisenberg had calculated that nuclear fission chain reactions might be possible.
    Although the war hampered their work, by the fall of the Third Reich in 1945 Nazi scientists had achieved a significant enrichment in samples of uranium.
    Mark Walker, a US expert on the Nazi programme said: 'Because we still don’t know about these projects, which remain cloaked in WW2 secrecy, it isn’t safe to say the Nazis fell short of enriching enough uranium for a bomb. Some documents remain top secret to this day.
    'Claims that a nuclear weapon was tested at Ruegen in October 1944 and again at Ohrdruf in March 1945 leave open a question, did they or didn’t they?'
    Ruegen is a Baltic island and Ohrdruf a top-secret bunker complex in Thuringia where local legend has it that an A-bomb was tested by the Nazis in the dying days of the war.

Read more: Nazi nuclear waste from Hitler's secret A-bomb programme found in mine | Mail Online

?

Not garbage per se.

How ever, the German atomic program wasnt as well funded nor as advanced as the US had feared.

Certainly not as well funded nor as advanced as the Manhattan Project.

US forces literally raced through Germany to discover as much about the German atomic program as possible and capture the parts, that made up the scientific research. A nuclear pile here (HAIGERLOCH), material hidden in a field there (a very interesting story in itself BTW!).

Considering the above, I dont think, that we will learn much new about the research program itself.

?

What the Germans had was 500 pounds of processed yellow cake from raw ore. That is what was sent to the Japanese who had research facilities in Korea. When Germany surrendered the submarine carrying the yellow cake in lead containers surrendered to American Naval forces which was enough added to what the US already had to build the "fat man " bomb used on Nagasaki. It was never nuclear research but atomic research. Nuclear fusion research wasn't completed until the mid 50s. I do not know what kind of waste they might think is there but it would be no more than crushed ore.

You never now there whas somekind of nuclear program so lets have a look.

I think Carl might give us an intake on the matter.
    However i like these lines:
    "After the war, Austria spent some £10million in pouring concrete into most of the tunnels.
    But Sulzer and his backers believe they missed a secret section where the atomic research was conducted"

Based on that i think its highly doubtful that Austria knows nothing about.
    Im pretty sure they found something while sealing the tunnels, back then.

Dracular is alive and well.I know,every time I go to Cyprus the bugger gets me,when I come back to the UK I finish up in hospital with anemia.ha ha me heartys

Update on Atomic Bomb Research 10 Feb 2014

During World War II the town Sankt Georgen an der Gusen in Austria was selected to be the DEST-business administration center for exploiting the slave labor in the quarries and later the industries of the Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp system. In early 1944 the town became the site of Gusen 2 – the most brutal sub-camp of the Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp system.

In roughly 40,000 m² of tunnels and caverns beneath long St. Georgen for the Messerschmitt company a huge and most modern underground assembly plant for Messerschmitt Me 262 fuselages operated until May 1945 under the code-name B8 Bergkristall – Esche II. In some trials of the Nuremberg Military Tribunal the relatively unknown term St . Georgen granite works was used to prevent the use of or locations like Mauthausen Gusen.

Local mayor Erich Wahl asked the officials to investigate if there is an actual nuclear facility under the city and whether it poses a threat to the citizens, since filmmaker, Andreas Sulzer, found some interesting details about this town, when researching the history of Viktor Schauberger, a Nazi wartime scientist.

”Eventually I found out that he has been involved since 1941, under the strictest secrecy, in research projects for the SS in St. Georgen. In his letters he talked about splitting the atom”, said Sulzer, adding that there are U.S. records implicating that Nazi secret atomic facility lays in the tunnels of this town.

AND

"An Austrian filmmaker has started searching an old underground Nazi facility for a labyrinth of top-secret tunnels he believes was the site of Hitler’s research into the atomic bomb.
    Andreas Sulzer is now drilling into the remains of a wartime production and research centre buried deep in the Austrian hills surrounding the town of St. Georgen an der Gusen a few miles east of Linz.
    Thousands of prisoners from the nearby Mauthausen concentration camp excavated the tunnels of Nazi site, which produced parts of the Me 262 fighter—the world’s first operational jet powered combat aircraft. But the filmmaker says he has evidence that there could be up to 12 miles of unknown tunnels that once housed a secret research centre where scientists strived to develop the atomic bomb.
    After the war the tunnels were abandoned, and 10 years ago local authorities got the “known” 45,000-square-metre complex filled in with concrete owing to the danger of collapse.
    Mr Sulzer said his was put on the trail to St. Georgen when researching the history of Viktor Schauberger, a German wartime scientist.

“Eventually I found out that from 1941 he was involved, under the strictest secrecy, in research projects for the SS in St. Georgen,” the filmmaker told the Krone, an Austrian newspaper. “In his letters he talks about splitting the atom.”
    He also says he has found US records documents showing unknown tunnel systems at St. Georgen, and that for some unexplained reason Mauthausen held a large number of physicists and chemists as prisoners.
    Suspicions about what went on in the tunnels have also been fuelled by reports of unusually high levels of radiation in the area, prompting speculation Nazi scientists had carried out experiments involving uranium. Although geologists have said the radiation may be nothing more than the natural levels, the local authorities want the mystery cleared up.

“We just want to know whether a potential hazard exists,” said Erich Wahl, the local mayor

Filmmaker believes he has found Hitler's secret atomic research bunker - Telegraph

Cheers for the update and link!....

"Suspicions about what went on in the tunnels have also been fuelled by reports of unusually high levels of radiation in the area, prompting speculation Nazi scientists had carried out experiments involving uranium. Although geologists have said the radiation may be nothing more than the natural levels, the local authorities want the mystery cleared up".

There's the answer. The entire area has a bedrock of granite that depending on the type ( i.e. uranium levels) and circumstances of where it occurs can be radioactive to levels considered harmful to health.

Granite gives off radon gas due to the decay of uranium within it that can build up to dangerous, concentrated levels in enclosed voids, such as the cellars of buildings built using granite, or as in this case, the sealed tunnels and galleries of mine workings. To get an idea of how dangerous to health this gas can be, and how much of it is escaping from the landscape in certain areas, it's intersting to note that the second biggest cause of lung cancer in the USA after smoking is the ingestion of radon gas particles from granite/igneous bedrock.

I think that is probably the truth regarding this tale, and has very little if nothing to do with the production of atomic weapons or their consistent parts within the area.

But who REALLY knows.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast