MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need help trying to build a museum for the USAAF 8th AF 384th Bomb Group.

Article about: Hello All, I am trying to help get a museum built on the former Grafton Underwood airfield. Formerly known as Station #106 during WW2 . It was home to the 384th Bomb Group during WW2. My Unc

?

Default Need help trying to build a museum for the USAAF 8th AF 384th Bomb Group.

Hello All,
    I am trying to help get a museum built on the former Grafton Underwood UK airfield. Formerly known as Station #106 during WW2 . It was home to the 384th Bomb Group during WW2. My Uncle Joe was a B-17 tail gunner and was attached to the 384th and served at Grafton Underwood UK, Until being shot down and spending the duration of the war in Stalag 17B.

This is a petition to preserve the history for those that served and to those who gave their All for our Freedom.

Please help to make this dream come true, So that those who walked that airfield will be remembered for future generations.
    All they need is a signature, There will be no asking for Money, But donations will be welcomed. They will not contact you for any other reasons. They just need signatures,
    This is open to those on either side of the pond and will be great/ly appreciated by me and all the members of the 384th web site and the folks that live in and around Grafton Underwood.
    Please help Preserve this piece of History!

Here is the link below. When on that page, look to the right hand side for the signing information blocks. Fill it out and feel good that you are helping a just cause!!!

I am having a problem getting this addy to hyper link , So please Cut and Paste to your browser. Please excluded the quotation marks from this link posted below.

"https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/grafton-underwood-airfield.html"

Thank for the quotation marks suggestion Michael!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 11-29-2019 at 06:22 PM.

MAP
    ?

Just don't forget to remove the quotation marks when you paste it into the browers

Petition signed!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Signed!!!!!!!
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Sounds like a good cause. I'm surprised there isn't a US Air Force museum already in the UK commemorating the WW2 bomber air crews.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Sounds like a good cause. I'm surprised there isn't a US Air Force museum already in the UK commemorating the WW2 bomber air crews.
    I'm also surprised. at that.
    As a USAAF Bomber Command airfield it has the distinction of being the one that boast " That the First and the Last bombs dropped on Germany took off from this field"

Here is an excerpt from the 384th website about this field.

" At the time of American involvement, Grafton happened to be the first airfield available and so for the remainder of the war it was known officially as Station 106, becoming an integral part of the 8th Air Force. The first unit to move in, on May 12, 1942, was the 15th Bomb Squadron which had to use American-built Douglas Boston twin-engine bombers borrowed from the Royal Air Force.
    This unit moved to Molesworth on June 9, 1942, and was followed on July 6 by the 97th Bomb Group operating the Boeing B-17 flying Fortress. On August 17, 1942, his unit dropped the first bombs carried by the 8th Bomber Command on the railway marshalling yards at Rouen, France. The 97th was withdrawn on September 8 for service in North Africa, and four days later Station 106 was occupied by the 305th Bomb Group (H) pending their departure to their permanent base at Chelveston on December 11, 1942. The airfield was briefly occupied between April 16-May 2, 1943, by the 96th BG while waiting to move to Andrews Field in Essex.
    The last unit to move into Station 106 on May 25, 1943, was the 384th BG (H), which was to remain at Grafton until the cessation of hostilities in Europe. It was the 384th that had the distinction of dropping the last bombs carried by the 8th AF when they bombed the Skoda Works at Pilsen, Czechoslovakia, on April 25, 1945.
    The 384th BG, during its two years at Grafton, built up an enviable reputation, and amongst its many achievements were 2 Divisional Unit Citations for Heroism and Dedication to Duty against Extreme Odds; over 1000 personnel received the Distinguished Flying Cross. They achieved 9,348 credited sorties with their B-17 Flying Fortresses, losing 159 aircraft and 1,579 personnel, but claiming 165 aircraft."

My Uncle came over there in January of 43 with the 6th Service Squadron, Then volunteer for flight duty with the 384th when they arrived there.

Yes this is a very Good cause. Did you sign?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 11-29-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Got the link up for you here Phil

GoPetition - Error 404: Page not found

Edit okie I see what you mean about the white screen!!!
    Also I can't even sign the petition!!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 11-29-2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: changed text

I had same problem as Rene. Found site it by general search but was rejected by their verification process.

I actually tried to whack in another link and it even crashed me out of WRF!?!

?

Yes that was the problem I was having when initially try to create this thread. I took it to the "Technical Issues section here, But have not heard of a fix , other than what Michael suggested. Add quotation marks on both side of the link, Then cut and paste. But if you are trying to cut and paste this you must leave the quotatin mark off.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 11-29-2019 at 06:25 PM.

?

Hello All,
    This info was just past to me by the folks working this petition ,
    "Please remember near the bottom of the petition, after you fill out your information, there is a box, stating you are NOT a robot, this is important to check off before hitting the 'Blue box' sign the petition. If you do not, the site will not count you. If you have signed the petition and not got a verification e-mail in 24 hours maybe go back on the site and check the last page of signatures to see if your name is there... if not, you will most likely have re-enter your info and check that robot question."

So if you did not get an email verification , Please resign and check the Robot box

Thanks to all that have helped.

Semper Fi
    Phil