Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need to regain the collecting mojo

Article about: Happened to me almost 40 years ago. I sold off All my stuff. Everything. Gradually, the 'bug' worked it's way back in. I get a bit of a 'fix' here with WRF almost every day. Sometimes intere

Happened to me almost 40 years ago. I sold off All my
    stuff. Everything. Gradually, the 'bug' worked it's
    way back in.

I get a bit of a 'fix' here with WRF almost every day.
    Sometimes interesting items will make me want to
    research a little more and then I'll go on the
    hunt for them.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Re-invent..and reorganize what you already have..or build upon the large items in your collection..with the smaller supportive effects. Photos and dossiers of each item...adds great detail and answers historical questions newbies or the plain curious non collectors may have. There is much you can do with what you have. I tell my wife that all the time !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The best thing I can say is: specialize. I felt the same as you were feeling, until I began to specialize. It adds a lot more purpose when you have a goal.

Collecting is like a chronic illness-Once a collector-Always a collector. Focus of interest can shift and change over time, but the basic collecting bug-It's always inside you somewhere in the back of your mind. It might lay low sometimes for Years, but it's Always in there somewhere.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Happened to me almost 40 years ago. I sold off All my
    stuff. Everything. Gradually, the 'bug' worked it's
    way back in.
    If you would like to sell more of your stuff for the "40 years ago prices" just send me an email!!!!!!!

Do what I did and start collecting U.S. patches. A 3rd Infantry Division patch here, an 8th Air Force patch there, and with just a smidgeon of cash you will have them all eventually. I found that I got the same 'collector high' as I did collecting Third Reich awards as I did with U.S. patches. I'm serious, try it. lol

Hi Jimm,

I've sold everything twice in my short time in the hobby. The first time was when I sold all my first collection of medals and gear. I had just decided that that collection wasn't what I was interested in anymore. I had all crappy stuff compared to everybody else, and I couldn't afford any high end items because I spent my money on a multitude of low quality pieces. I lost my will to collect. I sold all of it here on the forum and I was on the brink of throwing in the towel. Then after looking at some other collections on here, I decided that I wanted to specialize in German helmets. I bought a really nice camo Heer SD, my first new item in a few months, and it rekindled the fire. After a while I had compiled 10 quality helmets, including my first SS and DD. I didn't waste any time or money on low quality pieces. I was also on the forum every day reading and learning from the threads, and constantly on the search for new helmets on dealer's sites.

Then one day, nearly a year ago, my interests changed and I decided to sell all of my stuff once again. All of it is now gone, although I kept a poster and one photo. I haven't been on WRF in over a year, until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'll tell you what it was that got me back here and collecting again. I was looking through my email archive for something and I just happened to stumble upon an old post from Jørn's collection thread, you can see his collection here: My collection WWII (German medal & badges). After reading through the whole thread it inspired me once again to start collecting. Last week I bought my first helmet in over a year, and yesterday I got my first medal, a nice simple War Merit with swords.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread so far. And I'd like to add to it by suggesting looking through other members' collections. That is the best way to get back the collecting mojo in my opinion.

Regards,
    Corey

I consider myself a 'Journeyman' ..... not an apprentice but no way near a master! ....& that is what keeps me going, the journey.
    There will be a time soon that I will sell a great deal of my collection; not because I have lost the enthusiasm, but it is time to move them onto another caretaker.
    I have enjoyed my time, so should the next man/woman. If you do not "enjoy the way" ( in life as much as in collecting ) then it will be unfulfilling for you. ( just my opinion )

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I buy things on Lay away..which does slow your spending down a tad!! otherwise you don't get the item you started to pay for.!!.Also I think like 99% of us into collecting there is always something bigger & better but we can't afford it! So I think on that subject it is a case of sucking it up!!.Failing a small display cabinet/War Room is a must..I am very lucky & have my own room that's where I go to chill & dust lol & I spend hours in there. Also collectors on here will help you out sometimes! I have an SA dagger coming from Ger for which because he a friend I can pay a matter of months & that is no problems because he knows I am good for the money that is one way of getting a bigger item. I have had that sort of sale on here a few times where people are like pay when you can!! Now that is nice. Hopefully you will get sorted. Cheers Terry.

On selling things.... I got into Mosin Nagants for some time before I bought a German Helmet at the gun show one day (all down hill from there!). I have since lost my Mosin bug, and ones that used to have me tearing my wallet out, barely stop me any more. I have several of them in my collection, but every time I sort the "gotta keep" from the "I could do without", I start getting nervous even at the thought of selling those... so they end up back in their spots. I figure they will stick around, and If I ever find the right one that reels me back in, I wont have any regrets! Only if I had to pay some bills, do I think I could part with anything in my collection. Even then, I think it would make me sick every time I thought about it.

I have been a little reckless with my spending in the past, and this hobby is as bad as any drug. What ObKrieger said about collecting patches, is a way to get a fix for a few bucks. Plus they are fairly easy to find out and about. I have found most of the few I have so far at the local flea market!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast