Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New collector question

Article about: I am very interested in German historical items and have just begun collecting. I'm afraid of being ripped off because of all the fake items out there. Can you guys recommend reputable selle

?

Thank you all!

?

Welcome to the Forum Liasko... I started collecting in the early part of my life... But back then collecting was just that.. "Collecting" for me... I never once thought about Makers Marks and was not even aware of such things.. I feel as others have stated... Read some threads. Pay attention, and ask first before buying and you should be "Right as Rain"... Just my sentiments...
    G.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

MAP
    ?

As said, study, study, and study. Read the threads here and buy recommended reference books.

And always post before you buy. Better to miss out on an item than pull the trigger too fast and get stuck with a lemon. Otherwise you wind up with a draw full of these expensive lessons.......... (fakes)

DSC01122.jpg

You did not say however what you are interested in collecting? Everything? One area? I would start small in a single area with more common items less often faked. This will give you confidence and expertise as you learn and less pain if you make a mistake. Then branch out. And stay away from the uber rare and SS items.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

He stated daggers and medals in the first post, map. Very good advice you gave him. You can't study enough, trust me on that one.

?

Eek I'm regretting the stuff I've already bought now. I will definitely take all this advice. Thanks again!

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    As said, study, study, and study. Read the threads here and buy recommended reference books.

And always post before you buy. Better to miss out on an item than pull the trigger too fast and get stuck with a lemon. Otherwise you wind up with a draw full of these expensive lessons.......... (fakes)

DSC01122.jpg

You did not say however what you are interested in collecting? Everything? One area? I would start small in a single area with more common items less often faked. This will give you confidence and expertise as you learn and less pain if you make a mistake. Then branch out. And stay away from the uber rare and SS items.
    Very good and sound advice... I have such a drawer as well... I think we all do... G

MAP
    ?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    He stated daggers and medals in the first post, map. Very good advice you gave him. You can't study enough, trust me on that one.
    homer-doh.png

Quote by Lisako View Post
    Eek I'm regretting the stuff I've already bought now. I will definitely take all this advice. Thanks again!
    I know the feeling. All those awards I posted in that picture were purchased BEFORE I found WRF. Have bought a fake since joining.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

What interests me most is wwii german items. I'm interested in the history of Germany and when an item is used, it's even more interesting. It's more important to me to be authentic than it is that it is valued. I'm not overly interested in uniforms though. Any thoughts of the reputation of grenadier military auctions?

Quote by Lisako View Post
    Turn regret into knowledge. Everybody has been burned so don't get discouraged. People here are more than willing to help out a fellow member when questions come up.

?

Bruce Haarman is "The real deal" IMO... But it ultimately is up to the collector to know their area of collecting. No one is perfect in this field.. I have actually dealt with Bruce... Nice guy and has a great deal of knowledge of many aspects pertaining to WW 2 memorabilia..G

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast