Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

New collector question

Article about: I am very interested in German historical items and have just begun collecting. I'm afraid of being ripped off because of all the fake items out there. Can you guys recommend reputable selle

Lisako...a few points you'll need to know if you're getting into the hobby. First and foremost being Trust No One. There are many very good sellers out there but even They occasionally let a sinker get past them. No one person can ever know Everything. It does happen. Therefore, Always make sure that their return guarantee is solid and reputable. Probably, about the safest thing for now would be to do research here and match the item you are looking at to purchase EXACTLY to posted photos here of originals. And I do mean Exactly. Even the Slightest bit different can mean a fake item. Once you've found something that looks pretty good, post photos here Before purchasing it and see what the more experienced members think of it. As time passes and you get more knowledge under your belt, you can begin hunting out on your own at antique shops, auctions, flea markets,newspaper ads, etc, but until then, Post Photos here.

Going off on your own without the necessary knowledge will almost certainly reward you with either a fake item or with paying far too much over what it is worth if it Is real. We don't generally do evaluations here, but we can give you rough ballpark figures or send you where to find the values yourself. So, for Now, as I said, Trust No One. Even established sellers and items here in the Classifieds. If the seller has a real low number by his name, he may not be fully trustable and we are always vetting bad items being offered by questionable sellers here who join solely for the purpose of passing trash onto unwary buyers.

You are becoming involved in an endlessly fascinating hobby and I seriously envy you that feeling! You have uncountable adventures lying ahead of you and learning new facts and knowledge every day! Perhaps, just maybe, if you do it right, you can avoid the many pitfalls and traps out there from unscrupulous thieves that prey on enthusiastic but unseasoned collectors. Good luck! (and, to answer your question, Yes-by all means, storing the AH silverware in anti-tarnish cloth is fine! As said, though, these pieces are Enormously faked today and if you paid less than $1K for it, I would worry!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Moved to discussions with a 2 day redirect.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I purchased the silver from grenadier and it was $1295.00

Grenadier is generally pretty sharp and has a good eye and the return policy is 1st rate. Is the piece one of the Bruckmann Formal Patterns? The price is right about where it should be.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

This is the descriptionAdolf Hitler personal, formal pattern, Ice Cream Spoon which was liberated from his home in Bavaria, Germany. Taken from the "Berghof", this very rare ice cream spoon measures approximately 5 5/8 inches long. It is maker marked 800 silver and has the Nicht Rostend trademark on the reverse blade. On the front grip stands an eagle with swastika which is flanked by the letters "A.H.". The handle's edge have the Greek key pattern border. It is interesting to note that Hitler was a lover of Greek classic art and the border represents the Greek river "Maeander". This pattern was developed by Professor Gerdy Troost. A very rare piece of history and one of the rarest of the formal A.H. flatware pieces to obtain. GMA-7786

Im very relieved to hear that he's got a good reputation!

Holy hell MAP, you must have sunk some serious coin into those fakes! Ouch!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4