Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New Dambusters film

Article about: Yeah, what's in a name? Let's just re-name Hitler " George" because people are offended by his name? Or replace the swastika with an " X "! I also say Sod off to the whol

?

Default Re: New Dambusters film

Yeah, what's in a name? Let's just re-name Hitler " George" because people are offended by his name? Or replace the swastika with an " X "! I also say Sod off to the whole idea. I like director's cut idea where they keep it real and dub the official release, maybe that would make the PC bastards shut up!
    ~Dean

?

The name change might not be entirely factual or something I agree personally with but we have to admit that in today's society we have to accept it.
    If this is the only inaccuracy then we shouldn't moan too much, I guess time will tell!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Then why are American rap songs filled with the n-word if we are so offended by it? hypocritical in my opinion.
    ~Dean

?

I hope we can stick to discussing the New Dambusters film guys and not digress.......!

I suppose the story isnt about the dog but the bravery of the heroic RAF crews that pulled this audacious operation off !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Adrian, to a point i agree with you , lets see the film and decide then, however it is these PC brigades that perpetuate racism by making people afraid to say even the slightest comment that could be construed as racist, a short while ago a member on here took offence with my comment on "doughboys", it had to be explained to him that it was an American euphemism and not ours, the same goes for Aussie, Limey, Kiwi, were told that the word jap is offensive, try telling that to the USMC that fought on the islands, i hate racism but I will not be told by any person what is right,wrong or proper, i think i am suitably educated to make informed opinions for myself, if someone doesnt like the fact that a certain word is used, dont see the film, the same goes for TV, theres a little switch on the side that turns the thing off ,if you think youll be offended , use it, at least your exercising your right to make your own decisions, anyway rant over, i hope the film lives up to the original, Dave

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I hope we can stick to discussing the New Dambusters film guys and not digress.......!
    In that case what is there really to discuss Adrian? It's been done already 50 odd years ago hasn't it, and probably better?

Please allow me to digress a little for the sake of, shall we say, a difference of opinion ( in case the word 'Argument' assaults your liberal sensibilities and makes you spill your cup of tea onto your keyboard.)

Assuming that the film may offend some members of the American cinema going public by reffering to Gibson's Lab as "NIGGER" (My God! I've used the 'N' word!!) Then may I suggest a couple of potential solutions to this subject, and the film in general, that would be acceptable to African-Americans and other politically correct persons with a weakness for not observing the historical facts.

Why not substitute the dog in question for a honey coloured Lab and call him 'Wigger'? As I assume that the name 'Digger' could be presumed offensive to Australians?

To further enrapture the cinema going American public, perhaps the role of Barnes Wallis could be played by the 'Nutty Professor' himself, Eddy Murphy "Shamone mother f*****, i new it would work!"

And while we're at it, what about 'Blazing Saddles' star Cleavon Little as Gibson, just change lines like "Hello Nigger old boy!" to something like "Yo Nigga, wassup blud!" I reckon they'll be flooding in (even though Mel Gibson(no kin to Guy) may be playing Mick Martin.

At the end of the day, the true story is yet further diluted, not for the sake of any of the victims of the raid on either side or those caught in between, but for the sake of Dollars/Pounds at the box office today.

That is the true reason for this re-writing of history, and shame on anyone who endorses it. If you want to watch a film that on it's merits is great and pure vanilla, check out the 'Wizard of Oz' and remember, they're not 'Dwarves', they are 'People of restricted growth'

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Erm, wasnt the N word used as one of the code words, what moronic member of the politically correct brigade decided to change history, im not being funny but most of the films nowadays have the N word in it somewhere and there not an historic portrayal of anything other than pure fantasy entertainment, lets all change the course of history, the japanese didnt bomb Pearl harbour, germany didnt invade poland, D-day didnt happen, one of these days someone with a pair will tell these burkes to shove off and go get a worthwhile job, LEAVE HISTORY ALONE, you obnoxious bunch of beauracratic overpaid wasters

As davej said you cant change History and i personally knew one of the Chaps who flew on that mission its tarnishing there Name and Memory

Greg

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    In that case what is there really to discuss Adrian? It's been done already 50 odd years ago hasn't it, and probably better?

Please allow me to digress a little for the sake of, shall we say, a difference of opinion ( in case the word 'Argument' assaults your liberal sensibilities and makes you spill your cup of tea onto your keyboard.)
    Discuss the rights and wrongs of changing the dog's name by all means - but keep it within context. I don't care how the word is used elsewhere or how many times it gets used in rap music, that's a whole other discussion on a completely different forum.
    There is no 'argument' or 'difference of opinion' here and my 'liberal sensibilities' are far from being assaulted, I completely with the points made in the thread so far. However, I don't want to see the thread go down a road whereby this relatively minor issue detracts from the achievements of the Dambusters crews and turns into a whinge or rant about the rights and wrongs of political correctness.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Discuss the rights and wrongs of changing the dog's name by all means - but keep it within context. I don't care how the word is used elsewhere or how many times it gets used in rap music, that's a whole other discussion on a completely different forum.
    There is no 'argument' or 'difference of opinion' here and my 'liberal sensibilities' are far from being assaulted, I completely with the points made in the thread so far. However, I don't want to see the thread go down a road whereby this relatively minor issue detracts from the achievements of the Dambusters crews and turns into a whinge or rant about the rights and wrongs of political correctness.
    Thats fair enough Adrian. Although reading your opinion previous to mine could be construed as pandering to political correctness in some sense and had a bit of a whiff of lavender to me. But, as a great man once said,"Let us move forward together!"

As far as the acheivement of the raid, and Gibsons part in it, I would like to air this quote about him when he was imeadiately taken of 'op's' after the raid. It says a lot about the man who was only in his early twenties at the time, but was also considered a stickler for rules and regs that did not endear him to many of the aircrew under him. Such is the way that people can be perceived.....
    After receiving his VC, Gibson wrote an account of his wartime career, Enemy Coast Ahead, and was sent on a lecture tour of the United States by the government,partly for propaganda purposes, partly to keep the new hero safe. The tour was at a time when the first American airmen were coming home 'tour expired' after 25 operations. During questions one young lady asked, "Wing Commander Gibson, how many operations have you been on over Germany?" "One hundred and seventy-four." "There was a stunned silence."

I hope that this is "in context" enough for this discussion.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast