Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New film - 'Stalingrad'

Article about: Looking forward to this !! It stars the excellent Thomas Kretchmann and the brilliant August Diehl ( Inglorious Bastards) Stalingrad (2013) - IMDb Shooting Stalingrad: Renowned Russian direc

Default Re: New film - 'Stalingrad'

I have just noticed I have posted this thread in the wrong section

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I'm ready for a new WWII movie! Thanks for the heads up. I hope it makes it here.

I quite enjoyed the 1993 Stalingrad movie too, it got a little silly towards the end but the initial battles in the factories were quite enthralling and certainly gave an impression of what 'ratzen kreig' was all about.

?

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    I'm always a little dubious of books with less than 200 pages as to how in-depth can they really be when you take into account that it will also have pages on the background to the events and the after effects etc?
    An extremely good book is Michael K Jones 'Stalingrad: How The Red Army Triumphed' - although it concentrates on the Russian angle it does have plenty of eye witness accounts and breaks down the long held myths of various parts of the battle.
    Got to agree with Kevin here under 200 pages is really scratching the surface although if it's just a chronology it may do the job . Unfortunately there have in the last few years been quite a few new books rushed out about Stalingrad that are plainly appaulling .just a regurgitation of already known facts or information !!

As a researcher of the 29 ( Mot ) Infanterie Divison i would recommend Death of the the Leaping Horseman by Jason Marks , although primarily about 24 PD and 48 Panzer Korps and the advance in Southern and Central Stalingrad from the Kalmuk Steppe and only covering the period until the end of November it is a superb piece of work , 500 pages with many unique photos and maps !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post

As a researcher of the 29 ( Mot ) Infanterie Divison i would recommend Death of the the Leaping Horseman by Jason Marks...
    Every book by Jason Marks has been outstanding to be honest. Death Of The Leaping Horseman is a very expensive book now as it has been out of print for years and is hard to find but it is fantastic. Personally I prefer Jason Marks' Island Of Fire which is in the same style and concentrates on the fighting around the Barrikady Factory.

And if you haven't got his latest on Cholm (Besieged) than it is a must have. Great read (again, same style as the other two), plenty of never before seen photos and covers a battle that has never been written about before to any great depth.

?

Agree again mate any of Jasons books on Stalingrad are top drawer , Island of Fire is also superb !! I was lucky enough to pick up an early copy of DOLH direct from Jason when it was first published it set the tone for those that followed !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I am very excited for this movie...

The crappy Tiger in the pictures looks like the same one used in the russian ''Tank'' movie. What is it... A T-55?

Quote by meyerse View Post
    The crappy Tiger in the pictures looks like the same one used in the russian ''Tank'' movie. What is it... A T-55?
    What Tiger? The one shown in the photos of the middle link in the first post is a Pz IV with insignia of the 24 Pz.Division.

?

Didnt somebody build a very convincing tank copy recently?
    The model escapes me, but there was something about it looking quite good - at least on the side which would be turned to the camera (it was built specifically for presenting certain angles to the camera ..or something to that effect).
    ....or I have have bad oysters again!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast