Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New Job

Article about: Congratulations on the new job Paul, I hope it all works out well for you mate! A shame that your first day involved the attempted destruction of a WW2 air raid shelter but it's great that y

Lightbulb

In the true interests of War Relics Forum research, I suggest that you should consider dismantling it piece by piece and reconstructing it in your back garden.......

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    In the true interests of War Relics Forum research, I suggest that you should consider dismantling it piece by piece and reconstructing it in your back garden.......
    I think i'd need quite a hefty crane for the roof mate!...

Save some of the bricks… they would go GREAT with a Home Guard or Civil Defense display of helmets… especially since you probably have the background on this place!

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Attachment 633673
    Well it was the first day on site with my new job yesterday and the first task was to demolish a small air raid shelter behind a council house, the shelter is the same as the one in the photo (without the adverts) and we were given a generator powered jack hammer to break up the roof, after about an hour we had only managed to break off a piece about 6 inches square and gave up, our manager is having "a think about it". I now know why a lot of the big public shelters in Berlin are still there!...

great you have got a job Gunny,shame its wrecking a ww2 item.

You could always chip small pieces off the bricks and flog them on feebay for extortionate prices?

20 quid for an original piece of ww2 air raid shelter? Bargain!

Looks like a hell of a job, Paul. Tell them that Winston Churchill used it once during the war and they can make a Tourist attraction out of it.
    Just saying.......

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    You could always chip small pieces off the bricks and flog them on feebay for extortionate prices?

20 quid for an original piece of ww2 air raid shelter? Bargain!
    Great idea!....

Hey - worth a try!!! I have seen numerous pieces of "things" at the SOS sell for $$$$$$$$$ - or at the MAX, eBay etc… and these are the things that make such great original backdrops for displays… I have cases full of them that I have brought back from my "tours" in battlefields!!! NOTHING DAMAGED… but pieces lying around that would have been lost…. it is great to save at least a bit of these sites. In Normandy when I was there you can observe entire bunkers disappearing into the sand… sinking… and one way or another… these sites are being lost to time. Look at the Berghof… blown up I think at last count 5 times… and now… not too much is left… the Chancellery and Fuhrer Bunker site… gone for all time unless of course they decide to dig it up… I found some great pieces there in 1990… this is just all cool stuff that is ending up at the dump…

Great idea!....
    DSC_0024.jpg

?

Attachment 633673
    Well it was the first day on site with my new job yesterday and the first task was to demolish a small air raid shelter behind a council house, the shelter is the same as the one in the photo (without the adverts) and we were given a generator powered jack hammer to break up the roof, after about an hour we had only managed to break off a piece about 6 inches square and gave up, our manager is having "a think about it". I now know why a lot of the big public shelters in Berlin are still there!...
    Hey buddy
    Get your self a circle saw and a course mason blade. Cut lines 1 inch apart about 1/2 way through it. Get at least 6 lines cut then take a chisel and at least 3 pound hammer . Stick the chisel in one of the lines and give it a good whack. That will start knocking 1 inch chunks out. That should take it down enough to break it with the jack hammer.
    I would also suggest you set up some scaffolding to stand on. If not when it breaks if you are standing on it you will get hurt.

Congrats on the new job Paul!
    Glad to hear it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast