Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

New to Soviet Militaria

Article about: Hello, Picked up some Soviet stuff and decided to pick up a few more Cold War pieces. Any good advice on how and where to start a decent collection?

Default New to Soviet Militaria

Hello,
    Picked up some Soviet stuff and decided to pick up a few more Cold War pieces. Any good advice on how and where to start a decent collection?

Default Re: New to Soviet Militaria

ebay is a good place to buy soviet cool war pieces

?

Eric, where in PA are you? I know of a Pawn Shop in Montgomery County (Southeastern PA) with wide array of Soviet pins and medals if you're interested.

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Eric, where in PA are you? I know of a Pawn Shop in Montgomery County (Southeastern PA) with wide array of Soviet pins and medals if you're interested.
    I am near Lancaster, PA.
    Thanks

?

Well, if you ever feel like making the 90 minute trip, below is the address. I don't collect Soviet items, so I'm not sure what they have however there are roughly 40 or so soviet related medals and pins available. Considering it's a pawn shop, the prices should be good. The people are a$$holes there, but it's worth it for the items...

Also, you should definitely check out Renningers. There is one in Kutztown which is open on Saturday's and one in Adamstown, open on Sunday's. At both, there are military dealers with permanent stands inside the main buildings. Their prices can be on the higher side, but there are the occasional deals to be made. I typically go to them if I'm looking for something specific and don't mind paying full price.

Outside, there are various vendors as well. Typically these are just people who setup tables to unload their crap. You want to get there early for the outside vendors, though, as there are good deals to be had, but the deals go quickly. Both are pretty close to you (30 and 60 minutes respectively). Below is a link to their website.

While in Adamstown, there are quite a few antique shops and markets and most also sell military items. They're worth checking out as well.

Happy hunting!

First Pennsylvania Precious Metals
    25 N. Easton Road
    Warrington, PA 18976
    (215) 674-5910

Renningers Antiques & Farmers Market

Thanks for the advice. Love the shops here in my area. I know I have seen Soviet items in my previous quests but was not interested in them before. I can kick myself now knowing what I had seen before.

?

Not a problem! And I hear you. I have quite a few coulda, shoulda's.....

My big one is, I wish I had gotten into this hobby prior to meeting my now wife. Love her to death, and wouldnt trade anything for having met her, but my money situation was a lot more carefree before then and by now my collection would contain much nicer items. Now that we have our first born on the way, my wallet's going to get even tighter! But you have to prioritize, and I'm ok with that!

Definitely check out Renningers, though, if you haven't been there already. Adamstown can be a military collector’s dream, especially for those who have disposable income and even for those who enjoy hunting for a good deal.

And of course if you ever wish to share some of your preferred merchants, it's been sometime since I've been out to Lancaster and I always enjoy a good road trip....

hey adlerfan, i live in Erie, do you have a lot of good shops down near lancaster?

the best one around here is J. Amato & Son in meadville. like i told yuengling, i highly reccomend him to any collector, especially for beginners. John's a nice guy who wont BS you out of your money. he has some soviet awards, but he has tons of field gear and soviet helmets, as well as other kinds of soviet hats. let me know what youre looking for in particular and i will keep an eye out the next time i go down there.