Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New WWII Movie

Article about: Hello gents, I have just seen the first two trailers of "Red Tails", a January 2012 release from Lucasfilm. The film is based on true events concerning the black pilots who flew fi

Default Re: New WWII Movie

I think I will go and see this.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I will as well go see this film I think a few years ago I do remember watching another film on the tuskegee air men on the History Channel followed up by a documentry it was a good film but for the life of me I can not remember what it was called.

Regards Mark K

?

There was the original; Tuskegee Airmen with a host of well known black actors, that was a pretty good film, then there was a semi docudrama on History channel and i think another documentary on one of the History channels, as for the Mustang, normally i see 2-3 warbirds fly over weekly, more when theres an air display, Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancaster, the Dragon Rapide flys over every weekend, and on a few occassions the "Sally B" B17 used to fly over, every day regular Chinooks, Apache, Puma and Merlins fly over plus a Bell Huey that goes back and forth from somewhere, and as im typing this a Yak has just flown over

?

Sounds like a pretty busy piece of airspace were you live Dave it must be intresting at times to see all the vintage WW2 aircraft still in flight . And I do believe it was the original film that I watched now that you mention it I seem to remember Lawrence Fishburn as one of the lead actors.

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty busy piece of airspace were you live Dave it must be intresting at times to see all the vintage WW2 aircraft still in flight . And I do believe it was the original film that I watched now that you mention it I seem to remember Lawrence Fishburn as one of the lead actors.

Regards Mark K
    That's right, it was a t.v. movie by HBO called 'The Tuskegee Airmen' released in 1995. It also starred Cuba Gooding Jr., who is in the new 'Red Tails' movie too. Shame that the aerial action scenes appear to be 100% CGI, but hey, I bet it's a lot cheaper than gathering the real aircraft needed in one place, plus the logistical nightmares, insurance needed etc.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Looks like ahistorical claptrap to me. When I see 'inspired by historical events' I read it as 'bollocksed up by Hollywood historical events'.
    I dont think its meant to be a factual documentary/drama Glenn, just an entertaining war film.

I cant wait to see it

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

They make so few fact based movies anymore that actually follow all the details of the true account!!! If nothing else it will be enjoyable to watch on the big screen would be really awsome in IMAX I bet .

Regards Mark K

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    I dont think its meant to be a factual documentary/drama Glenn, just an entertaining war film.

I cant wait to see it

Nick
    Well, the first thing it says after 'LUCASFILM' PRESENTS....Is "Inspired by real events" so I guess that answers the questions on total authenticity.

That said, it's still worth a looky.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well it just $hits me when Hollywood turns the evil of war into a kind of whoohoo party with your pals. What does the trailer show, a bunch of yipping and yahooing guys knocking down ME262's, gunning up well stocked german airfields and attacking naval vessels?? Give me a break. Kids should be attuned that war is not cool nor fun and this kind of paf concerns me that Hollywood is doing its part to ensure that the recruitment of cannon fodder for future wars continues unabated.

When I was a kid I used to yearn for the Saturday afternoon matinee of 'Guns of Navarone' or 'The Eagle has landed' but as I grew older I began to understand that a human when shot just doesn't clutch his stomach and fall down, he/she dies in pain and leaves behind bereaved family/loved ones. Its the 21st century now and yes, we as older ones may realise that this movie is just harmless escapism but there are many who will get caught up in the theatrics and clamour for the 'glory'.

For me the 1st 5 minutes of 'Saving Private Ryan' should be compulsory viewing to all school age kids to ensure that violence, pain and suffering is real, applies to all and is not part of some MTV video that only applies to 'the other guy'.

Sorry for the rant but distortion of history is not something I can stomach.

I love factual docus as much as than the next historian, but I love war films as much. I think I am the only Briton to have enjoyed U-571 ! Yes it was 'inspired by...' but it was excellent film entertainment that had me on the edge of my seat !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast