Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nine ex-Nazis given life sentences

Article about: I thought it interesting the way this has been reported in the news; NINE ex-SS soldiers aged 84 to 90 have been sentenced to life imprisonment in their absence by a Rome military tribunal f

Default Nine ex-Nazis given life sentences

I thought it interesting the way this has been reported in the news;

NINE ex-SS soldiers aged 84 to 90 have been sentenced to life imprisonment in their absence by a Rome military tribunal for the massacres of 350 civilians in Tuscany in 1944.

Eleven former Nazis were tried for the massacres, but one of them, Max Roithmeier, a former sergeant in the SS, died during the trial and a second, Walter Waage, was acquitted by the court.

The nine other defendants were given life sentences for their part in the "violence and murders" which resulted in the deaths of around 350 Italian civilians and for "acting with cruelty and premeditation," said the court's verdict.

Germany was also condemned as a civil party to the crimes and ordered to pay $2.18 million to the families of the victims.

"The sentence finally does justice to those who suffered directly the atrocities of Nazism," Claudio Martini, regional president of Tuscany, said.

"Even if 65 years have passed, we should not forget what happened."

Around 350 people living in the villages or hamlets of Bardine di San Terezo, Tendola and Valla, in the Fivizzano district, were massacred between August 19 and 27 in 1944.

The inquiry into the massacres was re-opened after the military records of 695 Nazis liable to be prosecuted for war crimes committed during the Nazi retreat from Tuscany.

AdelaideNow... Nine ex-Nazis given life sentences

Cheers,

Grant

Default Re: Nine ex-Nazis given life sentences

cheers for that grant

A shame that it took so long but better late than never! These monsters got to live their entire lives....think of the people that didn't on account of them!
    I say you throw the book at them! Too bad it's immoral now to hang 'em off light posts!

Cheers!

Rob

PHILBROWN
    ?

pointless waste of money . done in ABSENSE?, what a ridiculous shirade........

Bit late in the day, beyond reasonable doubt? or 2.18 million?

I find these 'trials' farcical and look forward to mine and Tony Blairs....

Jock

PHILBROWN
    ?

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Bit late in the day, beyond reasonable doubt? or 2.18 million?

I find these 'trials' farcical and look forward to mine and Tony Blairs....

Jock
    better reply than mine jock, well put. blair is responsible for a lot of needless death in the stan and iraq,even if he had given the guys a chance with body armour when they deployed it would of been defensible, rather pay for moat cleaning and sparkly bog seats

"Even if 65 years have passed, we should not forget what happened."

But you are right about the money - I don't think that has any place in this. It's more a matter of settling a score that was started a long time ago. I don't see anything wrong with accountability. No need to pay out large sums of cash though......the sons should not have to bear the responsibility for the sin's of the fathers.
    Cheers!

Rob

PHILBROWN
    ?

Quote by lach470 View Post

...the sons should not have to bear the responsibility for the sin's of the fathers.
    Cheers!

Rob
    could not agree more.

Exclamation Re: Nine ex-Nazis given life sentences

No political references or comments, forum rules...

Greetz

Nick VR

PHILBROWN
    ?

well said nick, we all differ with our thoughts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast