Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Normandy 2014

Article about: Evening all any going to france next week?

Only ONE more sleep - you lucky ducks!!!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I know our PM is heading over there.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I know our PM is heading over there.
    Probably going to run outta the sea onto Omaha wearing his budgie smugglers too!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

When I was on my way back in 2011 I met this fellow at the Airport, he was on the same flight as me.
    I mentioned that I had been a Medic with the Canadian Airbourne Regt, he said to me "God Bless you boy" He had been wounded in Normandy and again later.
    I have his card here in a book, just have to dig it out.
    It was one of the high points of my visit

Found the card. Mr. D. Zane Schlemmer
    Sgt, Forward Observer HQ Co. 2nd Btn, 508th Parachute Regt

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

DSC03500.jpgDSC03499.jpgDSC03498.jpg

I was thinking of going there for 2 years; but the finnancials arent allowing .
    Im sad ill miss the 70th anniversary.

Quote by CampX View Post
    When I was on my way back in 2011 I met this fellow at the Airport, he was on the same flight as me.
    I mentioned that I had been a Medic with the Canadian Airbourne Regt, he said to me "God Bless you boy" He had been wounded in Normandy and again later.
    I have his card here in a book, just have to dig it out.
    It was one of the high points of my visit

Found the card. Mr. D. Zane Schlemmer
    Sgt, Forward Observer HQ Co. 2nd Btn, 508th Parachute Regt

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

DSC03500.jpgDSC03499.jpgDSC03498.jpg
    Fantastic Dean, what a great experience it must have been talking with this man. You never forget these experiences.

Ive spent most of today tracing my grandfathers brothers (my profile picture) footsteps at Gold beach king sector. Was really nice to see the planes coming over low with there wings tipped down whilst I was standing on the beach- really made my day!
    Its great to see so many people interested in WW2, and without a doubt since last time I visited 2 years ago there seems to have been a fast growing interest (good news for all you guys who have invested heavily into militaria) but trying to get around has been a nightmare! Militaria shops and fairs from arromanche all the way to ste mer eglise have been completely slammed with customers, so much so there are ques to get in there shops!
    I don't know exactly what happened at Utah beach tonight with the parachute drop but all I managed to see was the rear of the car infront as we were gridlocked for over an hour.
    It looks like tomorrow will be a balls up too as they have a huge no car Zone spanning half of Normandy. Only cars which will be allowed to enter are residents with stickers, veterans, politicians and Royalty (im just out of the royalty bracket).
    Im now gonna wonder down, to the beach at grandcamp maisy to watch the 23 simultaneous fireworks which are apparently lighting up the coast a 11.00pm.
    For a change though its not raining in Normandy - im shocked. Even got my shorts and t shirt on!
    matty

?

Indeed, it is quite fantastic to see the old aircraft, vehicles and all other period related material when possible at such events today. Even more so, those of us fortunate enough to meet the veterans - brave men and women them all. We need to cherish the opportunity while it still exists. And remember the sacrifice of others who died so that we are able to enjoy our freedom today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi All, I have done Normandy! Oh and not forgetting the CALVADOS! Did GOLD, Juno, and Sword, Bayeux cemetery that's sad. But the 2nd best part was Pegasus Bridge, ( good old Oxs and Bucks)but the best part was the brave soldiers who fought there so people like me and you could walk there in freedom. Best wishes to all who fought and died there. Regards SK

Dean; I have met your Veteran friend. He was based in Nottingham (my home town) in 1944. He has been back several times!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast