Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Not a WWII item but does any one recognise it?

Article about: Good evening gents, I know this is a WWII forum but I suspect that like myself many members have interests in militaria originating earlier and much later. So, on the off chance that anyone

Default Not a WWII item but does any one recognise it?

Good evening gents,

I know this is a WWII forum but I suspect that like myself many members have interests in militaria originating earlier and much later.

So, on the off chance that anyone might be able to help I am posting this here as it has been a thorn in my side for some time now

I have had it for years but don't recall where I got it and it lies in a sub-collection of international special forces type items that I have picked up along the way.

I don't think it is a cap badge as it is too heavy. It is heavily electroplated and I feel the base metal is likely brass. The fastenings are of the "clutch back" style but are simple push on nylon plugs.

The Cobra suggests to me possibly Indonesia etc and is maybe indicative of a "strike" or rapid reaction type unit. The surrounding ferns suggest to me New Zealand but I don't think the overall design fits.

Please somebody put my mind at ease with this one. I have asked on other more broadbased fora and have got nowhere

Cobra.obv.jpgCobra.rev.jpg

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

PS If nobody knows what it is I might be able to interest a Shelby Cobra driver in it
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Is there any kind of maker's mark on the reverse?
    I like it and it is entirely possible it is auto related.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Is there any kind of maker's mark on the reverse?
    I like it and it is entirely possible it is auto related.
    Ralph.
    Hi Ralph

No, there are no marks of any kind and yes it is quite a nice thing in it's own right. As I say, although I think it came with other badges I have no recollection as to where I picked it up but it has always been with military badges as long as I have had it which is why I have always regarded it as military. I have to say though I was only half joking about Shelby Cobra drivers being interested

Regards

Mark

I like the digital Micrometer better
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I like the digital Micrometer better
    Haha, me too in truth! It is just as useful in this hobby as a decent digital weighing scale when 1g or 1mm can make a huge difference.

BTW I know nobody likes a smartarse but the tool in question is a digital vernier caliper, better than a micrometer for measuring the dimensions of an object. The micrometer is preferrable for measuring thickness of sheet or diameter of bar and spherical shapes.

Tool geekism is so underated I don't really care about the bloody badge anymore

Mark
    digital vernier.jpgdigital micrometer.jpg

Hi there. I cannot comment on authenticity but I believe it to be an Angolan Special Forces Operator's award badge. I havn't been able to find much out about it other than that. Check out the link below.

Southern Africa Militaria - Online Shop - Trading

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Hi there. I cannot comment on authenticity but I believe it to be an Angolan Special Forces Operator's award badge. I havn't been able to find much out about it other than that. Check out the link below.

Southern Africa Militaria - Online Shop - Trading
    Bugger me!

I felt sure there would be someone who would spot it so thanks very much for that. It would have been a while before I started searching the "Dark Continent" as the symbolism seemed to point more to Asia although the reptile in question does knock about those part I suppose

I still can't recall where I got it but I do have a couple of SADF and other African para wings in the same backwater of my collection so maybe this one came the same way.

Oh no! I think I just heard another door opening off that long corridor that is the collecting path

Thanks again you have help with a most irritating question.

Regards

Mark