Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

NY court says gold tablet belongs to German museum

Article about: That's right. Here is the well known image of her wearing them.

?

The Elgin marbles were sold by the Greek government at the time. It was a legal sale. To come back 250 years later and want them to be given back is ridiculous. That is akin to anybody owning a Picasso must be willing to give it back to Spain because of origin of creation. Trying to make laws retroactive is a dangerous path indeed. Germany decides that military items of rarity and origin of country can force any that owns these items to return them because of cultural history. Same thing with ancient Japanese samurai swords.
    Just an opinion.

Quote by Allegra View Post
    but I would ask why would it not be returned to Iraq?
    I think it should be returned to Iraq. It belongs to them, and shouldn't have been taken or kept without their permission. Imagine if it was the other way around. What if an Iraqi archeologist was digging in Germany and found some tablet of Barbarossa and took it back to Iraq to put in a museum indefinitely. Germans would protest, and rightly so. They should give the Assyrian tablet to Iraqi authorities, and let them decide where it goes.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    I think it should be returned to Iraq. It belongs to them, and shouldn't have been taken or kept without their permission. Imagine if it was the other way around. What if an Iraqi archeologist was digging in Germany and found some tablet of Barbarossa and took it back to Iraq to put in a museum indefinitely. Germans would protest, and rightly so. They should give the Assyrian tablet to Iraqi authorities, and let them decide where it goes.

Permission might and almost certainly was given, at the time, it is in more recent times that such items are not allowed out of the country - I use that to cover many nations-, at one time it was common for German archaeologists and those of other nations to dig abroad and take the finds home with them to stock their museums.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Britain could always offer to Sell the Elgin marbles back to Greece-seeing as how they purchased them From Greece....but then again, Greece and Money....I don't think I'd take a Check from the Greek government just now...

(and No..no offense intended to any Greek members....lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

This wikipedia page provides a good overview on some of the issues touched on in this thread:

Art repatriation
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I don't think I'd take a Check from the Greek government just now...

(and No..no offense intended to any Greek members....lol)
    Or a wooden horse neither.....Boo!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree with JerryB on this,the only example I know off taking without permission,was the prewar dig on the site of Troy when the German Archeoligist smuggled the treasures back to Germany.

In the States here, there are Endless cases by Native American groups to recover 300 years worth of diggings of items found. Sometimes they win-sometimes not. The skulls in the Smithsonian Anthropology collection are one example-it wasn't that long ago that they had to return some of them to NA groups that had proven a claim to them. Every court case decision made wants to think that It is the definitive decision on how to handle controversial and sensitive cases like these, but just as many cases seem to go the Other way as well.
    William

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I agree with JerryB on this,the only example I know off taking without permission,was the prewar dig on the site of Troy when the German Archeoligist smuggled the treasures back to Germany.
    Heinrich Schliemann is the guy you are thinking of.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Schliemann's wife used to wear the Trojan jewels and jewelry to Parties....
    William

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast