Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Obsessive Collecting: When is it too much?

Article about: by Wagriff It becomes too much when your home becomes a new episode of "Hoarders"... 'Like'

?

Good eye!!! That Tractor seat was made by Frost and Wood and is marked. Frost and Wood made Farm Machinery from the very early 1900s until after WW2, however during WW2 they made most of the Mills 36 Grenades that the Canadian Army used, I have found photos on line of F&W making them.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

It's not too much until I can't safely navigate my house because of helmets and I can move them a where because the backyard is full.

It becomes too much when your home becomes a new episode of "Hoarders"...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think when you run out of space it's time to stop.

Separate credit card - guilty! PayPal helps too The wives have their methods too. Can't count how many times I've gone into the trunk of my wife's car and found empty shoe boxes, shopping bags, etc. At least we can use the "investment" claim

Ok let's have a change up pitch ... Any guilt or robbing Peter to pay Paul?

Funny... Empty shoe boxes is like discarded beer bottles .. We are all junkies.

I like what the guy said on the video that he has paid well over price for some of his items.. But it was the meaning of personal worth more or less to him. I have to agree also that we have at some point put out quite a few hundred extra than the market price of these artifacts. The Non collector will shake their heads because the price is outrageous to them even if it is market price........then there is the critical collector who will also shake their head and say " You paid too much!

What's it worth to you ? $500-1000 or more? Gotta have it like he said that "Holy Grail" item which only you could understand and appreciate. I am guilty of this also and spent more than I should.

What's it worth and how high is high? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Interesting topics Larry. It is never enough or we wouldn't be collectors. Collectors are always looking and hunting. Perhaps they move from one genre of collecting and move to another. Something will always "feed the fire" so to speak.

As for overpaying, I think if anyone was offered their Holy Grail they will pay whatever it took to get it so long as it doesn't cause a divorce or starvation.

'Like' - I do think you're right Doug.

Definitely an obsession.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Interesting topics Larry. It is never enough or we wouldn't be collectors. Collectors are always looking and hunting. Perhaps they move from one genre of collecting and move to another. Something will always "feed the fire" so to speak.

As for overpaying, I think if anyone was offered their Holy Grail they will pay whatever it took to get it so long as it doesn't cause a divorce or starvation.
    LIKE !!!

The biggest problem I am having with my Holy Grail helmet Doug is not an issue of finances the money is in the bank so to speak I can not source one and the couple of examples I do know of are in private collections and are not for sale not even for silly money so it is a waiting game with many hours of constant searching dealers sites and the internet.

Regards Mark

Quote by DougB View Post
    I agree with Doug, before militaria it started with knives. I don't really have many custom ones other than the ones I make but I figure I have about 700 including the 150 or so miniatures that are still in my collection. That is not including my TR swords, daggers, bayonets, and knives. I still pick up a few now and then. I find it is difficult to support two fairly expensive hobbies.
    I have another case with a bunch in it as well as the dresser drawer and a locker with a bunch in it as well. And then there are the ones I carry in my van for camping and fishing.
    I guess I haven't hit that wall yet.
    Ralph.
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast