Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Old French Flag,

Article about: Hi, Got no pics yet, but i got hold of an old french flag today, when i got home i thought there is something different about it. anyway as we all know the french flag is Blue, White and Red

Default Old French Flag,

Hi,
    Got no pics yet, but i got hold of an old french flag today, when i got home i thought there is something different about it. anyway as we all know the french flag is Blue, White and Red,
    This one is Red, white and Blue, Red being at the hoist, it is in a bit of distress with some holes and very week but the cloth was heavy material at one time and is a stitched flag.
    Can any body give me any info in it, it is just odd being the wrong way around.
    Dave.

Default Re: Old French Flag,

Hi Dave,

I found this link. Apparently that configuration is used in the Navy signalling alphabet.

"One of the flags in the naval signalling alphabet is still a red-white-blue vertically striped flag - ie like the modern French flag, but with the colours reversed."

French National Symbols: The Tricolore, Tricolor or Tricolour

Look a couple of paragraphs down in 'History of the Tricolore'.

International Signal Flag Alphabet, marine pennant alphabet.

This site ID's the flag as denoting 'T'.

Default Re: Old French Flag,

hi,
    thanks for the info on it, i thought it odd to be the opposite way round, that cleared that up for me thank you for you time .
    dave.