Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Old Military Bugle?

Article about: Dear fellow collectors, first of all, i don't know if this the right place to post this but is there someone can help me determine how old this bugle is? DSC08483.jpgDSC08499.jpgDSC08498.jpg

Question Old Military Bugle?

Dear fellow collectors, first of all, i don't know if this the right place to post this but is there someone can help me determine how old this bugle is?
    DSC08483.jpgDSC08499.jpgDSC08498.jpgDSC08497.jpgDSC08496.jpgDSC08495.jpgDSC08491.jpgDSC08490.jpgDSC08487.jpgDSC08486.jpgDSC08485.jpgDSC08484.jpg
    The seller said he got this bugle from a family of a war veteran. At that time, the late veteran also have some uniform and helmet but the seller only got this bugle and the other thing he wanted it.

DSC08493.jpgDSC08492.jpgDSC08494.jpgDSC08489.jpgDSC08488.jpg
    There’s number “8” etched in there. And some dent and slit hole. But the bugle still operational.

If this bugle is old or maybe late 19th century made, i think this bugle is a knil bugle (saxhoorn) model M1870 used from 1870 until 1881. And based from the number "8" etched in there. Is this possibly once used by the knil 8th infantry battalion 8ste Bataljon Infanterie - Wikipedia ?
    Some comparison the bugle from the netherlands army museum drawing legermuseum.nl
    16-knil-17.jpg13-mariniers-21.jpg4-onderwijs-17.jpg

Contemporary photo of the bugle
    KITLV Digital Media Library - Inheemse soldaten uit het Nederlands-Indische leger te Batavia met muziekinstrumenten
    KITLV Digital Media Library - Officieren der infanterie van het Legioen van de Mangkoe Nagoro te Soerakarta (the bugle is on below left, in front of the drum and rifle)

So what do you think? Is this bugle is first of all a military bugle? And second is this like a very old made?

DSC08505.jpg
    Thank you.

To be honest, that horn looks like it was made in India. The mouth piece is definitely cast not machine turned and looks like it was cast in a sand mold. The solder joints are---well, sloppy. The rest of the horn features similar low quality manufacture. Here is a photo of a 19th Century military trumpet. Note the crispness of the mouth piece and the absence of solder build-up on the soldered joints. Though heavily tarnished, this instrument shows the signs of quality manufacture, which is what one finds in all military band and field instruments in the Western World. Many of the early survivors show signs of wear and abuse complete with dents and bent parts, but they still display a high level of craftsmanship, which the horn you have certainly does not. Dwight

I agree with Dwight. My first impression is that it was a newly made fake antique.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I have to agree as well. That mouthpiece is terrible,
    and it's really the most important part
    of any horn.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I have a couple of military bugles and I absolutely agree with Dwight.

Pretty shoddy workmanship and intentionally distressed/antiqued.
    Regards,
    John

Lightbulb

Finally the great answer i wanted to hear! Thank you very much gents! This is why i love this forum.
    And if you don't mind at all, is there someone willing to share some photo example of high quality made military bugle with the same type of mine? Especially the one which made from brass. I need a reference when searching that bugle in here.
    But still, im still wondering if this thing is indonesian made instead.