Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Old military sayings / slang, any age, nationality or origins. Wrong or right!

Article about: This is probably completely the wrong forum to start this thread but I couldn't find a better place for it. Following on from the thread on Ricks Cromwell tank restoration, and the posts abo

Default Old military sayings / slang, any age, nationality or origins. Wrong or right!

This is probably completely the wrong forum to start this thread but I couldn't find a better place for it.

Following on from the thread on Ricks Cromwell tank restoration, and the posts about the origins of the name for his tank, would anyone care to post some old sayings, traditions, slang or foreign words that have originated from the military? Anything goes.

I expect most know how the salute came into being, where the phrases 'Freezing the balls off a brass monkey', 'Son of a gun' and 'Going the whole 9 yards' came from, but there must be some everyday phrases/traditions/words etc. that we've all witnessed, seen or heard and never really thought to find out where they came from.

So rack your brains and educate us.

?

Default Re: Old military sayings / slang, any age, nationality or origins. Wrong or right!

I am interested to know why a member of the Navy with the surname 'Ward' is known as 'Sharkey'?

I've tried Googling it but can't find any answer?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: Old military sayings / slang, any age, nationality or origins. Wrong or right!

"Tunnel" was a term used to describe female personnel in the Australian Defence Force.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I am interested to know why a member of the Navy with the surname 'Ward' is known as 'Sharkey'?

Is that the guy who wrote "Sea Harrier Over the Falklands" ?

Quote by Adrian View Post

No idea - I served in the Royal Navy for 22 years and never knew why!

You also have '3 square meals a-day' from the old navy use of square wooden 'plates' to eat from.

To recieve a 'Dear John' letter. Origins from the great war, soldiers being away from home to long and recieving a letter from their lover stating the relationship is over.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    He is a Sharky Ward but eveyone with the surname of Ward is nicknamed Sharky, same way that everyone named Adams is called Daisy, Collins are known as Jumper and everyone called Wright is known as Shiner.

I just read a book, 'Spilling the Beans on the Cat's Pajamas' (ISBN-10: 1606521713) about English slang and expressions, amazing to read howmany have a military origin!

Swinging the lead is another one from the Navy which means to shirk.

?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    No specifically James, it's one of those names that has always 'been there' like the ones Kevin mentions in post #7. I work with an ex Navy guy and he is 'Sharkey' Ward. Not even he knows why!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast