Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Older people dont talk about it

Article about: i was at the market two sundays ago and i bought a ww2 book. as i was walking out i stoped to get some veg from a stall. a old man was standing next to me he said do you like do read this st

Default Older people dont talk about it

Hi, sometime ago, while walking the dog, i noticed an older gentleman wearing a Portuguese Youth belt.
    I would say he looked about 80 + years old, give or take. Since then, i see him everyday, at the same time.

Today i tryed talking to him to see if he would like to tell the stories of his younger days, but he wasnt receptive.
    I will not say exactly what he sad to me, i can say that he was actually very very rude.

Lesson learned
    Older people usually do not like to talk about it.
    Cheers
    Nuno

I would be rude too, when strangers would ask for my belt, my trousers would drop!
    ;-)
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    I would be rude too, when strangers would ask for my belt, my trousers would drop!
    ;-)
    |<
    I was not interested in his belt!!
    The fascist movement from the 60`s and 70`s was completely different from the earlier days. Since the end of the war, the movement became less important and more relaxed. My father was in the youth and told me plenty of stories but its not the same thing.

I would love to know more from the earlier movement days.

?

I'm not old but the Missus says I won't stop talking about my War stories!!! lol...Only the nice 1s I talk about mind...Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    I'm not old but the Missus says I won't stop talking about my War stories!!! lol...Only the nice 1s I talk about mind...Cheers Terry.
    Especially after a skin full lol
    Ben

Nuno ..Stuka is joking with you...but an interesting topic. I feel it depends on the individual how the war or movement affected them.....some older people just love to tell their past..for the sake of talking..and others are more reserved about it.
    I had 2 great uncles in WW2....both were in Europe...one was a supply seargant and had stories of granduer to tell to the family and everyone who would listen..he sent all kinds of stuff home in crates....the other Uncle was in the battle of the Bulge and a bridge building engineer...one day they were setting up a bridge and one by one his buddies were being picked off by a German Sniper. Finally the rest of their crew gave in..my uncle was captured and taken to a Prison camp. As a young boy I remember that uncle,,,being very quiet all the time...with a insincere smile,,but a smile to hide his pain of the past. he didnt talk about it at all. I have his paratrooper wings somewhere.

It depends upon the individual...Nuno...keep looking im sure you will run into someone..who wants to share their past. Volunteer to sit with some of these people at your Local senior citizens center...some of these people have no friends at all and just want to talk.....you would be amazed some of the stories you will hear. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hey Nuno,
    I understood what it was about, just stupid Flemish humour of me!
    ;-)
    |<

cheers
    |<ris

Like Larry said Nuno!
    You shoul try to win his confidence first before asking questions that can be qualyfied as "personal".
    I was recently banned from a button forum for "showing to much intrest in WWII ".....history can be rather touchy to some....
    |<

cheers
    |<ris

On a serious note guys I dont taik much about my time in the service, maybe only with other ex servicemen, there seems to be a common bond there.
    Ben

?

my father was active during the last two years of ww2, royal navy (minesweepers) and he would never talk about what he saw or what he did!!!! in fact when us young lads while out for a beer with him pushed him to tell us story's he would get agitated and a litlle angry and just say "its over, its all over", passed away 2004, R.I.P, dad,,,,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast