Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 43 of 149 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 93 143 ... LastLast

Other hobbies besides collecting militaria?,

Article about: I like mushroom hunting, garden job, plastic models ( but have not time for that)

?

Default Re: Other hobbies besides collecting militaria?,

Definitely pedicle damage most likely due to injury or perhaps a birth defect. Either way a good beast to take as it would never be able to defend itself or a territory (if Whitetails have territories?).
    Here's a pic of the abnormal Roebuck on the wall (together with it's covering of dust and cobwebs )
    It was shot around 1910-1920 on a German estate. I buy and sell antlers when I get the time for a bit of pocket money and as another little hobby. This came with a job lot from Germany. I liked it so I kept it along with a few others. This one sustained damage to the growing antler when it was in velvet which healed and continued growing albeit in the wrong direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Here is my first buck of the season, a decent six point Roe. I've been told it might make a bronze medal but my feeling is that it will be just under the minimum CIC score.
    I gauge it to be about three or four years old. I had watched this buck for about half an hour as it and another got head to head over a territorial boundary. I've never been lucky enough to see two bucks fighting but was priviledged on this occasion.
    Nice buck.
    Some make it to bronze, some dont

Whitetails mostly fight over does, they "spar" early in the season when they're in bachelor groups, but the serious stuff happens in the breeding season. People seem to find them with antlers locked every so often, there was one on youtube of this, 1 buck was dead, and the other had been dragging it around, even with coyotes feeding on the dead one. They were able to cut an antler off of the live one, and they said they saw it a week later still alive.

I've seen them spar while antelope hunting in Montana, but never in the woods near home. I still like to watch deer, but I focus more on grouse now. I have a little double gun that weighs just over 5 pounds, and get a chance to explore further into the woods than I did before.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Nice buck.
    Some make it to bronze, some dont
    That's a nice symmetrical buck! What did it score?

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    People seem to find them with antlers locked every so often, there was one on youtube of this, 1 buck was dead, and the other had been dragging it around, even with coyotes feeding on the dead one. They were able to cut an antler off of the live one, and they said they saw it a week later still alive.
    I saw that, quite amazing!

?

It says 110.3x on the small metal 'medal' thingy.
    I must admit to not be after trophys at all, so really have no interest in the point system.

?

105 points will score a bronze so you're well inside that. I'm not a trophy person myself, I didn't give it a second thought until last night when someone pointed it out to me. I did a rough calculation and ended up with 95.75 points so I'm not convinced myself but I might get it measured purely out of interest.

?

I hope your guesstimate is too conservative and that it wins bronze

?

When I get to Texas, I chill out with friends.

Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Interesting trophies chaps. I have seen a grossly mutated Moose trophy in the Boone and Crockett Club in Missoula, MT. I had a photo of it but can't find it now, so here's one I've lifted off the net as an example, although nowhere near as big.

Did you know that if a bull becomes castrated due to fighting during the rut or by accident; that the bull will immediately shed it’s current set of antlers and start to re-grow another set, this new set will be deformed and misshapen and he will wear this set for the rest of his life never shedding them again? It's true!!

I have hunted Moose, and tbh found it pretty unrewarding, the thing just stood there in a mountain pasture, 30 yards away, just chewing the grass and looking at me. Not the same with Elk, Whitetail, Mulies or Pronghorn Antelope is it? If they wind you a mile off they've gone!!

Having said that, they can be bloody dangerous when rutting, I remember some jogger outside Red Lodge running into a bull on a trail, and the thing just tossed him up in the air so many times that when he was found he was practically dismembered. Sobering stuff; but generally speaking, during hunting season you can ride up pretty close to them without fear.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Yep, pretty docile looking (until the fit hits the shan, that is - as you mention, Ned).
    Same reason Greenland Ox or Elephant dont appeal to that much (even if I had the funds).
    Rifle hunting most often is 'easy' after a while - real men hunt with bow, spear or even better, knives!

Page 43 of 149 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 93 143 ... LastLast