Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Article about: by Spitace41 Looks like he was in the Home Guard? Indeed and must be before he joined the navy. Great pic and a great family history you have (Col) James.

John Stevenson.

My 3rd cousin 1x removed.

John joined up in 1936 and served in Palestine until 1939 in the Leciestershire Regt.

He was taken Prisoner of War in Crete in 1941 and was in Stalag IV B Mühlberg, Elbe, Brandenburg. He later ended in in a camp near Belsen. After the war he continued his service with the Leicesters becoming a Warrant officer.

His first wife Ethel was in the ATS. Interestingly, his second wife Joan was at Bletchley Park. She was a civilian there due to her Maths skills.

His son served 24 years, many of them with the SAS, doing over 400 parachute jumps.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

My great uncle Joseph Schlegel. He was in the infantry. Also included is his sterbebild. In the third photo, he is on the left.
    Ralph.
    2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg
    On the left in the NSKK uniform is my great uncle Bernhard Schlegel.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

My great uncle Fritz Schlegel. He also was in the infantry. I have learned that the devices on his shoulder boards indicate that he attended the Kriegsschule des Heeres, Wiener Neustadt; Erwin Rommel commanded this particular officer candidate school prior to the outbreak of WWII. (Wiener Neustadt was (is) a garrison town south of Vienna)
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Another great uncle of which I know nothing about. I can only determine that he was likely in the signals division.
    Ralph.

This is a photo of my mother's first husband and the father of my oldest brother. His name was Helmut Karl Erich Grieger. He was listed as missing in action in Italy.
    Ralph.

My uncle Eugen Briem. He was the brother of my mother. He was a large man. He was in the Luft Flak. He spent some time in Finnland as well as Russia.
    Fortunately I was able to meet him when I was about 14 years old when he came to Canada to visit us. I was also able to see him again when I traveled to Germany for my honeymoon and to meet the rest of my relatives in 1986.
    Ralph.
    1.jpg7.jpg6.jpg2.jpg8.jpg3.jpg
    In the next photo he is in the middle front. Probably during his deployment to Finnland.
    4.jpg
    And during his time in Finnland.
    5.jpg
    I believe this photo was taken near the end of the war as he is wearing his black wound badge and Ost ribbon bar.
    9.jpg10.jpg

Thanks Adrian and rbminis for the nice family photographs.

Whilst doing family research, I've found these so far:

Cornelius Twedt, first served in the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate) and was then transferred to the 28th Infantry Division due to illness when he got to England. He was reported MIA some time in September 1944, and was declared KIA over a year later, when they found/identified his remains.
    In the second photo, he is in the far right:
    Cornelius uniform.jpg

1379304_3596066996809_81373480_n.jpg

2841317_137048155237.jpg
    Curtis E Twedt, was part of E Company, 327th Glider Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne. He was killed in action June 16th 1944 south for Carentan by mortarfire:
    3511696_127246473302.jpg

One of my granduncles:
    Volunteered for duty 10th April 1940 and fought the Germans in Valdres(Norway) until he became a POW.
    sags.jpg

My granduncle, Harald Skålnes. Served in the Norwegian merchant fleet until he was torpedoed and killed 11 March 1943 in the middle of the Atlantic:
    HaraldSklnes23.jpg

My great granduncle, Kornelius Tvedt. Served in WW1, not quite sure where yet, in his induction card, it says Field artillery, then a Depot brigade, and then 88th Infantry. He died for the Spanish Flu 1 day before his discharge:
    Kornelius uniform.jpg

Like Ade, I too love family history/research
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Here is my paternal grandad, Artur Tomasz Maruszewski (photo taken Christmas 1933)

IMG_2693_vsmall.jpg

He served in WW1 in Pilsudski's Legions (1st division) in the Austro-Hungarian army, initially as a rifleman, but he rose through the ranks and gained his commission in 1916. When the Austro-Hungarian empire collapsed in 1917, the legions were transferred to the German army. Grandad refused to swear the oath of allegiance to the Kaiser and was put in the stockade. He remained a POW till the end of the war.

Grandad then entered the new Polish army at the rank of Captain and fought with distinction in the Polish-Bolshevik war. he was decorated three times with the Krzyz Waleczny (cross of valour) for his courage on the battlefield. On one occasion his horse saved his life after he was shot by bolting back towards friendly lines.

Later in his career, he commanded the KOP border guard units in what is now modern day Ukraine. He retired from active service in 1934 with the rank of Colonel and was transferred to the reserves.

After that, he embarked on a successful political career, becoming regional governor, firstly in Poznan and then in Wilno (Vilnius) which is where he found himself at the outbreak of WW2. Together with his miniser of finance, he oversaw the transfer of money from the local banks to safety to stop it from falling into the hands of the Soviets - what couldn't be moved was burned. I believe it ammounted to several rail wagons of banknotes.

In the face of the Russian advance, he was entrusted with the task of evacuating Marshal Pilsudski's widow and daughters to safety. They escaped via Lithuania and Latvia to Sweden where he parted ways with them. They travelled straight to England and he carried on via Holland and Belgium to France.

There he was recalled to the Polish army and was given command of the Polish camp at St Loup. In May / June in the face of the German advance, he was entrusted with the planning of evacuating the camp via La Rochelle to Britain. I have a packet of papers, orders and maps from this particular point in time.

Grandad eventually ended up in Scotland, where he was first involved in setting up and then dismantling the tented camps the Polish soldiers were first settled in. I'm not too sure what happened next (I still have to find that out) but after a brief leave-of-absence in 1943 he was then given the post of head of the educational division of the Polish army, organizing training courses and such like.

At the end of the war, when it became clear that he could not return to Poland because of his political past, he planned on emigrating to Canada, but he died in December of 1945 in Edinburgh.

Among his military and political awards is the Legion d'Honeur.

I'm still in the middle of sorting out all his papers and possessions because dad just jammed everything up on the loft in boxes and never touched it. But I can't sign off on this without thanking some wonderful guys on this board (you know who you are) who've helped me identify some of the items that I have inherited and have helped me plug a lot of the gaps. I can't thank you enough xxx

Joseph Stevenson, my 3rd cousin 2x removed. I have already written about two of his brothers in this thread, John Henry Stevenson and Albert Stevenson.

Chester-le-Street Chronicle and Advertiser, November 7th 1919
    Page 6..

Death of a Pelton Hero

On Monday the internment took place at St. Pauls Churchyard of Pte Joseph Stevenson (NF) who resided at 62 Albert Street Grange Villa. The service was conducted by Rev E.J. Taylor F.S.A. T.D. There was a large number of relatives and sympathisers with the family present..

The deceased had served his country conspicuously, having completed 17 ½ years service and died as a consequence of wounds received in the Great War. He joined the service in February 1902 and took part in the Boer War. After serving for 12 years he re-enlisted in 1914. He was sent to India and took part in one of the NW Campaigns, where he was wounded. While in France he went through many stiff engagements, and was wounded many times..

He bore the proud distinction of five stripes together with five chevrons. He was invalided home and was an inmate of several war hospitals including Sheffield, Gloucester, Newcastle and Gosforth. His sturdy built frame and vigour of manhood was terribly undermined by the effects of the war. His experiences told on his health and strength and he passed away in a county hospital. He had received the South African and Indian medals and was entitled to the 1914 Mons and two other medals..

T he following brothers had also shown a distinctive patriotism serving their country in the critical time of her history. Sergt JH Stevenson East Yorks who won the MM and Belgian Crux-de-Gurre; Corp Albert Stevenson 8th DLI who was killed in 1916; Corporal Arthur Stevenson 8th DLI and Pte Charles Stevenson 8th DLI who for three years was a prisoner of war in Germany..

NB:.

The article was published in the Chester-le-Street Chronicle on 7th November 1919. The 7th was a Friday so the funeral too place on Monday 2nd November 1919.

There are some innacurcies in the written text above. Joseph went to India in his military service 1902-1910 and received his Indian Service medal, but there is no record of a South African Medal..

Once back in uniform in 1914 he did serve in France but his medal record shows he arived in France on 8th February 1915 so was entitled to the 15 Star, Victory Medal and British Medal.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast