Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Article about: by Spitace41 Looks like he was in the Home Guard? Indeed and must be before he joined the navy. Great pic and a great family history you have (Col) James.

My grandfathers cousin. He was a police man in his civil life and a lieutenant in the army. He died during the Continuation War in an enemy airstrike in Vuokkiniemi, Вокнаволок. The war had only lasted 12 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 04-24-2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: factual errors

Hi

Here are some family pictures from ww2 or the "people's war" as it was recently portrayed in the Uk

Interestingly this is absolutely true for both mine and the wife's family as every member was involved in some way.............

On my side : Grandfather in the RAF, Grandfather "good at maths" and worked away a lot..., Grandmother in Fire service during Blitz on Hull, other grandmother was bombed out with my dad and evacuated to countryside. Here they worked in the market garden growing food. Also my Grandmother entertained troops in WW1 waiting to be shipped to France, she was 4 years old.

Wife's family: Both Grandfathers in the Army, Grandmother in ATS other worked in munitions.

here is a montage of them in service.

My respect and thanks goes out to all of them who gave so much to allow us to live as we do today.

cheers

tony

pic 1.jpgpic 12.jpgpic 13.jpgpic 14.jpgpic 15.jpgpic 16.jpgpic 17.jpgpic 18.jpgpic 19.jpgpic 11.jpgpic 10.jpgpic 9.jpgpic 2.jpgpic 3.jpgpic 4.jpgpic 5.jpgpic 6.jpgpic 7.jpgpic 8.jpgpic 8a.gifpic 20.jpg

This goes way back but from my maternal grandmothers side I am linked to Mats Päts, a rittmeister Hakkapeliitta in the Thirty Years' War.

My late grandfather once joined the indonesian marine during the independence war in 1946. But he's captured by the dutch forces and too bad he lost his military document in the POW prison in tegal, central java.
    But in 1963 when he's already a civil servant, he was trained for a while by the Indonesian military once more.
    mil1.jpgmil2.jpg
    His military training diploma including his grades.
    His "P.B.B." (Marching knowledge) was not bad, his "T.U.M." (military ceremony) was good, i dont know about "P.P.T".
    Meanwhile his knowledge of lee enfield rifle and sten gun or SMG was great. But since he's wearing glasses, his shooting was nil.
    His war skill in here e.g. infantry knowledge, terrain science, pioneer was good. But his bayonet fighting skill was average.
    His territorial knowledge and the rest was good.

Later my father who also joined my late grandfather's step as civil servant. Trained again by the military in the early 1990's in Bandung, west java.
    3.jpg
    During field training.

1.jpg
    Trying....
    2.jpg
    ... seconds later.

90.jpg
    Notice the south korean model fiber helmet and garand rifle. Also the uniform which incorporated the ABRI insignia and civil servant insignia (the blue colored emblem)

?

Default Dad on the Canal

scan0024.jpg

I hope my photo upload worked. This is my father on Guadalcanal in 1943. He was medically discharged later that year with severe malaria.

feldgrau33: terima kasi banyak sobat!
    Many thanks my friend......

images thanks.jpg naamloos thanks.png

Lieutenant, Junior Grade, William John Garvy, United States Navy, 1917 - 1978, participated D-Day, was a Communications Officer, and after the war, having recovered from tuberculosis, went to work for Commonwealth Edison (electric company) in Chicago.

Kaarle Matias Castren.jpg

Second Lieutenant Kaarle Matias (Matti) Castrén.

• Infantry Regiment 30, Svir 1942.
    • Anti-Tank School 1943-1944, Officer School 1944.
    • 5th Separate Anti-Tank Unit, Karelian Isthmus 1944.
    • Infantry Regiment 1, Northern front 1944.

My grandfathers cousin. I never met him, but my grandfather remembers him well.

Matti's father Kalle Castrén was a lieutenant colonel and served in the Finnish Civil War, Winter War and the Continuation War.

Castrén2.jpg
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 04-24-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Found a wartime photo of Matti's father from the SA-kuva archives.

Major K. Castrén, Infantry Regiment 30.
    Svir front, 1942.04.07
    Last edited by Aleksander P; 03-31-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks to all contributors for their input. Great information and photographs!
    Hope others will also bring in material from their WWII relatives and family.
    Best regards,
    wilhelm

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast