Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Article about: by Spitace41 Looks like he was in the Home Guard? Indeed and must be before he joined the navy. Great pic and a great family history you have (Col) James.

New discovery. My 5th Cousin, 2 x removed:

Name: Francis Price Cripwell
    Military Year: 1914-1920
    Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Regiment or Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps
    Regimental Number: 127501
    Previous Units: 127501 RAMC Pte
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

5th Cousin, x 2 removed:

Name: James Alfred Cripwell
    Birth Place: Wilford, Notts
    Death Date: 10 Jul 1917
    Death Place: France and Flanders
    Enlistment Place: Nottingham
    Regiment: Northamptonshire Regiment
    Battalion: 1st Battalion
    Regimental Number: 17574
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

5th Cousin, x 2 removed

Name: William Cripwell
    Birth Place: Ruddington, Notts
    Residence: Ruddington, Notts
    Death Date: 13 Jul 1917
    Death Place: France and Flanders
    Enlistment Place: West Bridgeford, Notts
    Regiment: Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment
    Battalion: 15th Battalion
    Regimental Number: 71304
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Grandfather on mother's side - Royal Navy 1917 to 1919 (no photo available).

(Also believe I had an Uncle on mother's side who served in the Royal Navy but no details known).

Grandfather on my father's side - Royal Navy (Combined Ops) 1941 to 1943 (Medical discharge). Base Port = Portsmouth

Granddad 09 Oct 1942.jpg

Father - Royal Navy 1949 to 1957 (served in the Korean War & Malayan Emergency). Base Port = Chatham

bc Me - Hong Kong.jpg

Brother - Royal Air Force approx 1985 to 1997 (no photo available) - obviously went in through the wrong door at the careers office!

(& Me - Royal Navy 1988 to 2010. Base Port = Devonport)

Pte. John T. Lewis of the Newfoundland Regiment, 1915-1918. Enlisted at 16 (Claimed he was 19). My Great Great Uncle. Died at the age he claimed he was. I've been reaching out to my family, close and distant, trying to find anything of his belongings.

https://www.therooms.ca/sites/defaul...mas_2746_1.pdf

Sorry for poor photo quality. The picture was taken of the photo mounted on a wall, then I had to take a picture of the picture with my phone. I've been trying to figure out who owns the photograph currently..

Recently learned I also had a Great Grandfather with the Home Guard in Newfoundland during WWII. And we have multiple family photos of him AND we even found a photograph of him in a book written about the history of the town.

Above is the family picture, below is what we believe is a picture of him from the book of the town's history.

https://scontent.fyyz1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...40&oe=5D4656D8

First row, standing at the rear of the truck. Poor quality photographs but it is the best we can do.

- - ------- - -

Recently learned I also had a Great Grandfather with the Home Guard in Newfoundland during WWII. And we have multiple family photos of him AND we even found a photograph of him in a book written about the history of the town.

Above is the family picture, below is what we believe is a picture of him from the book of the town's history.

First row, standing at the rear of the truck. Poor quality photographs but it is the best we can do.

Also something less relevant, but his father (so my great great grandfather), was the town's first fire chief according to my grandmother!

MullenIG.jpgMullenIG_1.jpg40465_291494-00025.jpg
    William John Morgan my great uncle, buried at Jonkerbos war cemetery at Nijmegen Holland. from being a small child i had heard stories about "uncle Billy" the Irish guard and how he had been killed in Holland.
    Because of his Irish name and the fact he was over 6 feet tall, he was deemed to be ideal for the Irish guards. Family legend has it that he was killed accidentally while demonstrating a gun to his subordinates.

Thank you for the-igniting this thread Gunny, I had completely forgot about it and since learning more about family history I’ve got some worthwhile information to share later on.

A very touching inscription at the base of your relatives headstone mate, may he rest in peace.
    “Quis Separabit”

?

My Great-Grandfather T/Sgt. Walter J. Bonnet. He was drafted into the army January 20th 1942 and joined the 83rd infantry division. Being 26 years old when he was drafted he was significantly older then the rest of the men in his company so he was made platoon Sargent.
    Throughout the war he was awarded the Silver Star, 2 Bronze stars, and 2 purple hearts while fighting in Normandy, Brittany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany.

After the war his family described him as not the same man he was when he left. He suffered horrible PTSD for the rest of his life, my grandfather told me that every single night after the war he would see the faces of the men he killed and would often wake of Sonbing yelling out stuff like "I'm so sorry, I didn't want to kill you I'm sorry".
    He died on December 18th 1972 after suffering a heart attack. Even though my Father was only 3 at the time some of his earliest memories are of getting ice cream with his grandpa.

During his funeral many former men from his company attended and told my Grandfather stories about how he had saved their lives multiple times. This is the only formal picture I have of him in his uniform as he didn't take any after he was shipped overseas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast