Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Article about: by Spitace41 Looks like he was in the Home Guard? Indeed and must be before he joined the navy. Great pic and a great family history you have (Col) James.

mpw
    ?

Default re: Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Thanks guys. Your kind words are much appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.

Sorry to hear about your recent loss Mark.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi guys,

here are a couple of photos of my grandpa, who served as a battalion padre in Normandy and North-West Europe with Hallamshire Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment, 49th (West Riding) Division.

He won the MC in October 1944, the citation for which reads:

“On 6th October ’44 in Overheide Forest near Poppel heavy fighting ensued in the forest area immediately north of the Battalion position. As a result some casualties were received in the thick woods. Further enemy forces in the vicinity infiltrated immediately after the engagement and prevented the evacuation of these casualties. Padre Thomas, however, on hearing of this took the medical half-track forward to the Battalion positions and went straight through to the area where the casualties were known to be, knowing full well that his route passed through an area which was now heavily held by the Germans. Although Spandau fire was directed at his vehicle he continued forward and eventually found and brought back the casualties concerned. His intrepid devotion to duty on this occasion is typical of this officer’s work.

First picture is of him 'getting around' in Iceland, C1942. Next picture is of him just after the battalion service before their assault on Le Havre, September 1944.

Coincidentally, Jerry, he ended up serving with the 53rd Division after the war.

Hope you like them,

Tom

App0005.JPG
    Le Havre service.JPG

My father was 18 when this photo was taken in 1941. He didn't talk about his time in the military. It was only at his funeral in 2007 that I found out that after his discharge and his return to South Australia that he took his yacht out to a point off Seacliffe and promptly tossed all of his kit into the sea - properly weighted down of course. He had two brothers, one of whom served in the RAN and the other in the RAAF. My mother was a radiologist during the war and did x-rays of landing craft. My grandfather served in the AIF during WW1 in France as a sniper. All I really know of him was that he was gassed. He died when I was about 5. I do however have the badge from his slouch hat.

Hmm - rather silly I know, but this has rather got to me.

Dad 003.jpg

It seems that I have come from a long line of family members that have been in the military.
    First I will start with my great grandfather on my mother's side. This is the only photo I have of him. I know nothing of him or his service. I have never even heard anyone talk about him, (it was a long time ago and I am far removed from many of my family who still live in Germany).
    Ralph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (181.2 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (220.4 KB, 16 views)
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Next, I will post a photo of my grandfather on my father's side. I also know very little about him. His name was Jacob Boos.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Here are a couple photos of my maternal grandfather. He was a surveyor for the artillary during WW II, as his shoulder boards indicate. In the group photo, he is the one on the right front, (marked with an "X"). His name was Martin Briem.
    Ralph.
    16.jpg4.jpg20.jpg
    This is a photo of him after the war.
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (143.4 KB, 19 views)

jwp
    ?

just thought I would share a pic of my fathers ww2 badges and medals also a pic taken in Austria when he was part of the army of occupation, dad is in centre, second man behind small boy ! c. 1945/46. john.005b.jpg55.jpg

jwp
    ?

a pic of my dad and his mob !, rasc, 36th inf.bd., 78th division. maybe n.africa or sicily.1b.jpg

Quote by jwp View Post
    a pic of my dad and his mob !, rasc, 36th inf.bd., 78th division. maybe n.africa or sicily.1b.jpg
    Great pic. As some of the men appear to be wearing the GS Cap which was introduced in September 1943 this cannot have been taken in Africa unless he continued to serve there after the campaign had finished in May 1943, so Sicily or Italy if he served there is more likely. Good to see so many of them have the battleaxe flash as a slip on on their shirts, a great pic.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast