Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Article about: by Spitace41 Looks like he was in the Home Guard? Indeed and must be before he joined the navy. Great pic and a great family history you have (Col) James.

My Grandfather, taken around the end of the Great War, 1917-1919...
    grossvaterriv.jpg

Hello MWF: what country is the uniform? Just curious!

Wim, East Anglia, some Essex regiment, (UK) my mother did not even know which one, she said he never talked a single word about WW1 or WW2 ever, to anyone. All he ever said was that during those times he smoked cigarettes, and he used bad language, thats all.

Hi Jo, if you wish, I would be glad to help you research him.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

jwp
    ?

My grandfather (arrowed) with W company 6th battalion kings own yorkshire light infantry. the picture is taken in Crisolles,France in February 1918, the day the battalion was disbanded. the men were then formed into the 16th entrenching battalion, but within a few weeks the German's spring offensive was launched and the men were transferred to the 3rd London regiment and were back in front line action.
    John.koyli0001b.jpg

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jo, if you wish, I would be glad to help you research him.

Cheers, Ade.
    Cheers Ade, but that wont be necessary. He passed away many decades ago, and i have no connection with him really, or even any memories as such.

jwp
    ?

my dad taken in the uk in 1942 before he sailed to north Africa on operation torch, someone told me the photographers put cardboard under the epaulettes to make themdad4a.jpg stand up for the pictures !.
    john.

My grandfather served in the 11th Airborne Division during the Korean War. He was selected to conduct testing on a new type of parachute when his unit deployed overseas. He was in the first group of four soldiers to jump with the T-10 parachute. Two of his fellow soldiers chutes did not open and were tragically lost. My grandfather told me "As soon as I hit the prop wash I pulled my reserve chute and it fell right between my legs. This was because the T-10 had successfully deployed. I balled up the reserve chute and held it the rest of the way to the ground. I got my butt chewed on the ground but I didn't care. I was alive". He always had regrets about not deploying with his friends but he never had a regret in the Army and he is my Hero and idol. My grandfather has been extremely influential on my life and my decision to join the Army three years ago.
    603648_4846879932098_1848847796_n.jpg

Thanks guys for the many views: 5,000 and more!
    But that was not the goal for this thread. I am wondering why only so few assisted
    with bringing in material from relatives. That could be much more, isn't? There must
    be many more fathers, brothers, uncles or whatever been in any of the armies since
    Word War I and World War II and since then. There always has been some "activity"
    around the world.
    Anyway: thanks to all that have cooperated!!

Here is a link to another thread where I wrote about my Uncle John:

Any relatives in the RN?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast