Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

People judgmental about your collection?

Article about: There will always be people who do not understand and will create problems or pester people over it. Morris

Default Re: People judgmental about your collection?

I'm studying military history at uni and even some of my course mates that I have told about my collecting can't really see it, although I'm more likely to get called General Patton than Adolf. I personally think that people should keep their comments to themselves. They wouldn't go into a museum and complain about Third Reich memorabilia (or would they!?) so I think if someone had a problem I would just have to tell them to mind their own business than get into an argument with them. I just think that sometimes people's opinions can't be changed and there is not much point in trying to change them.

P. S. One of my uni friends who was skeptical has now got a rather respectable collection of post- war British edged weapons........ but will not admit to being a collector. A closet collector if you will. HAHA

once my collection gets bigger than the few items i have i plan to dedicate one large room as my war room/ my happy place and only a select few will be allowed to enter

My wife tolerates it, my kids dont give a monkeys and my mates think its cool!

Needless to say I'm not allowed to display any of it outside of my garage

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Not surprising to get negative comments in our "politically correct" society today. Tell them to mind their own business.

I wonder just how many "secret museums" in back rooms, lofts, spare bedrooms, garages etc there must be in the world...my stash included of course.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I bet some of you own Aladdin's cave.

Quote by daniel1234 View Post
    I do have people in my ear saying how its a waste of money and basically junk.
    That is probably the #1 comment,, any non collector would think,,, of anyones collection of anything. Some refuse to acknowledge
    certain past historical events and would rather focus on what is modern..............and thousands of dollars are spent on one coin or a postage stamp. I roll my eyes just like they do.
    Dead overdosed Rockstars and uneducated song lyricists, seem to attract alot of people vying for the same thing to Bid on that persons personal belongings,, that have a history of about 20yrs or less. IMO thats junk,, but collectible to someone else. JMO
    Stuffed animals toys or real.......Thimbles............Old calendars...light bulbs..........craftshow conventions.....featuring full yarn exhibits!!! WOW!! count me in!! I guess I will never understand in their minds why I dont like the same things they do. I will be the outcast because someone else doesnt like it or wants the spend the time to learn about it. So they click their ruby slippers and return to their safe and private soft and yarn fuzzy Oz!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Very well put Larry. I might also add our war memoribilia will be worth far more than their stuffed beanie babies, thimbles, or Nascar diecast models they make zillions of down the road. You can bet the term Collector Item stamped on anything today won't be worth squat down the road. Military items are going for good money in most circles because they are not making anymore "Genuine" ones anymore. Believe many of us on this forum have chosen to collect the right items and a good investment to boot. Just check the going price for an all matching Luger these days.

?

Hello Gents
    My collection, for want of anywhere else to put it, is in plain view in our lounge room. My wife
    accepts my interest & has even bought me items to add to it on the odd birthday or so. Most
    people who see it are genuinely interested in the historical value of the items, but on a few
    occasions some of my daughters friends seem to be taken aback & have asked whether we are
    Nazis. I tell her to to tell them that this is history, whether they like it or not, & that history
    should not be sanitized, or hidden, for the sake of political correctness.

Regards
    Brett

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    No-one knows about our collection except a few family members and i'd like to keep it that way until i have a house with more security.
    this is a real concern for me.

i have been burglarized before. how they missed the collection i'll never know. probably thought it wasn't worth anything.

they took a Bang & Olufsen sound system, two Uzis and an SPAS-15 and cash.

they left some pricey art just stacked against a wall they probably had to practically step over including some Picasso lithographs and a lot of things much more valuable than what they took. obviously the collection was worth far more than what they did take and it would have been easier to get out. i think probably i was staked out and they knew they didn't have much time. i was only gone an hour and that's when they hit me.

nothing was ever recovered.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast