MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

People judgmental about your collection?

Article about: There will always be people who do not understand and will create problems or pester people over it. Morris

Default Re: People judgmental about your collection?

There will always be people who do not understand and will create problems or pester people over it.
    Morris

I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. It's my collection, not theirs. It's displayed in our master bedroom so it's not readily visible to just anyone. Viewings are by invite only I don't force anyone to see it. Don't like it, than don't ask to see it. I have a coworker who lost relatives in Auschwitz, but he asked to see my helmets. He thought it was fascinating. He asks me all the time if I have any new helmets. He separates the history from the family tragedy. I respect that very much. Other people just want to get their two cents in, and I don't entertain that silliness nor have time for it.

My grandfather told me the other day that when he was a kid back in the late 1940's, he use to ride his bike around his neighborhood while wearing a DD Heer helmet. He said it was comfortable and safe (he crashed a few times). But he also said that people would always yell at him to take it off because it was glorifying the Nazis.

I never get any negative comments on my collection, mainly because I don't show it around. I would really like to display a War flag for the background of my helmets, but I wouldn't feel right about displaying it out in the open when guest are visiting. People can be very judgmental sometimes, thinking that their opinions should be heard and accepted by everybody else.

Corey

I'm sure the same people that make ignorant comments about a third reich collector will also drive a volkswagon or a japanese made car without thinking twice about the negative history involved, I will tell anyone who questions my taste that its history, how much different or accepting is it whether its in a museum or my man cave, and no matter how good or bad it is there is nothing wrong with respecting it, learning about it, collecting it or preserving it in the right manner. If they dont like that answer then they can go piss up a rope. and as far as security is concerned I will say this, if I invite you into my house I will gladly show you my knife collection, but if you break into my house your going to see my gun collection!

My father always tells me that some people might take me for a Nazi because I collect. Well, I cannot change the way people think, so Ill let them think and say whatever they want to - I know that Im not a Nazi and I really cant be bothered about what people think.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

The most common remarks I get is about how it is a waste of money, most find it very cool though. Funny enough, my close friends find it fascinating and love looking at my collection, but my grandma, at the first sight of my first medals had a look of disgust and asked me why I would ever want to buy such things. I presume the difference is in my generation being much more removed from the time period. My grandmother, Im sure, knew people who lost fathers, brothers and sons, views the swastika and TR symbols in a different light than I do.

My Step grandfather who was Jewish serviced in Europe(this is not my blood grandfather who served during d day). He brought back many items as well as collected to the day he died. Due to this, that side of my family is usually understanding. I tell the "unsure" once that this is not just Germans history, but ours as well. We will forever be intermingled together due to the holocaust. That and would you rather it be in my hands where I can teach from it, or the hands of some neo nazi who worships it? Anyways, could we see how you display your paperwork, I find paperwork the most challenging to display.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 03-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.

I had this little Hindu good luck charm, with a swastika, on my tool bag at work. I had 3 people including asupervisor ask me if I was a Nazi. I explained to all of them what it was, 2 were like, "wow, I never knew that" the last guy was an ass about it, wouldn't believe what I said. I told him if he wanted to remain ignorant, that was his choice. Then he got mad because he's "not stupid" They really could use a face palm smiley here lol

All my brothers know about my collecting, 1 thinks it's cool and comes over to see each new piece, 1 laughs because I put my uniforms on manequins, and the other is indifferent. I don't really advertise the fact, except for others whom I know collect also. I try to keep it out of sight mainly for security reasons.

My collection brought similar comments behind my back too! I don't care too much though because the people i care about and those that know me better know what i believe and why i collect 3rd Reich militaria! I have a few items from other countries too but a big Swaz banner always catches the eye! What i do to prevent from being characterized as a Neonazi is never forget to state my love of this era's history and my hate to Neonazis! You can also say that no Neonazi would spend so much money to buy original German items! You have to be a passionate collector to spend thousends of $$$ for some items! At least that's what i do!

Love the History Not the Ideology!

Quote by dramos View Post
    The most common remarks I get is about how it is a waste of money, most find it very cool though. Funny enough, my close friends find it fascinating and love looking at my collection, but my grandma, at the first sight of my first medals had a look of disgust and asked me why I would ever want to buy such things. I presume the difference is in my generation being much more removed from the time period. My grandmother, Im sure, knew people who lost fathers, brothers and sons, views the swastika and TR symbols in a different light than I do.

My grandad was a child when Germans invaded Greece. He lost his father during the occupation and witnessed very bad things at a very young age including a mass execution against the wall of his classroom and a person being held by two German guards right after he got shot in the head and his forehead had the entry bullet hole still gaping. That man was still alive on his last moments. Such terrible things to see for a young boy are memories that one can never forget. When he heard about my passion of collecting mostly German militaria was happy as a history lover he is too but when he saw pictures of my collection wasn't that happy because of the many swastikas around. It is the difference between living something and reading about it!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast