Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

personal notes/Organisation

Article about: Hello here ! Finally I subscribed to this nice forum to share with people who like collecting I would like to know how do you organize your personal notes of what your collect. Some paper no

?

Default personal notes/Organisation

Hello here !
    Finally I subscribed to this nice forum to share with people who like collecting

I would like to know how do you organize your personal notes of what your collect. Some paper note by theme ? Computer files ? I try to remember everything that I learn, but I have a short memory... I need some idea to organize myself.

I have too some problem to storing what is not displayed. For little things, like medal, I use peli case by theme. There are nice to protect what you want from humidity, dust and UV. But for greater things, like bayonette, I put them where there are place, often in cardboard boxes... I think I have to buy some bigger case to arrange them.

Now I'm curious to know how do you do

I have my items on display. If I wasn't able to view them I wouldn't see the point in having them. I don't see any point in owning items and putting them away out of sight. If you cannot see them, why own them? just my own thoughts of course!

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I have my items on display. If I wasn't able to view them I wouldn't see the point in having them. I don't see any point in owning items and putting them away out of sight. If you cannot see them, why own them? just my own thoughts of course!
    Cause I have not enought place for display all my items

And like that I can chance them often. It's like to have a new collection and it's pleasant.
    Imagine that shop keep all the year her christmas display, it will be annoying... for me at least. I like change.

I keep much of my collection displayed in a curio cabinet, I keep most of my 3rd Reich paperwork organized in binders...I also take photos of everything...Older photo, but you get the idea...
    Welcome to the Forum,
    Glenn

- - ------- - -
    Attached Images Attached Images

MAP
    ?

Like Glenn I use curio cabinets/old china closets and barrister bookcases to display items as well as shadow boxes for my medals (which can hang on the wall to save space).

Now as far as organizing...I've created a spreadsheet that can then be filtered based on the columns (e.g. date purchased, country of origin, price paid, type, sub-type, manufacturer, condition, Era/conflict, etc, etc etc). I must have 20 or so columns. And then I have my free text box that provides all the supporting research I've dug up on the item. It is a great tool. Plus by creating so many fields to fill in. It really forces you to be thorough in your research.........which is half the fun!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks for your answers.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Now as far as organizing...I've created a spreadsheet that can then be filtered based on the columns (e.g. date purchased, country of origin, price paid, type, sub-type, manufacturer, condition, Era/conflict, etc, etc etc). I must have 20 or so columns. And then I have my free text box that provides all the supporting research I've dug up on the item. It is a great tool. Plus by creating so many fields to fill in. It really forces you to be thorough in your research.........which is half the fun!
    I do more or less the same to do the inventory of my collection. But when I tell "personal note" I think more note that you can when you learn a new history or technical information. Do you see ? May be you have a better memory than me and you memories all that you read