Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Photo Montage?

Article about: Hi, I'm working on a compilation of AH pictures and I've found something odd. I compared both pictures (hair, facial expressions, Hitler's hand, the HJ boys' arms, etc) and I'm confident tha

?

Default Photo Montage?

Hi,

I'm working on a compilation of AH pictures and I've found something odd.

I compared both pictures (hair, facial expressions, Hitler's hand, the HJ boys' arms, etc) and I'm confident that they are both the same... But, as you can see, one as a boy using a camera on the right, and the other does not. Moreover, some people in the background are not there on the second picture neither.

1371.jpg

1383.jpg

What do you think? Photo montage? Perfect timing?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Are these Postcards? What is the source of these images? Very interesting, thanks for pointing this out!
    I love a good mystery...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Unfortunately I have no idea what they are and I do not have the source neither. I simply spent numerous hours browsing the web and saving what pictures I could find in a folder on my computer. I had about 4000 pictures and a bunch of them were duplicates, so I tried to clean it up as much as possible and it is in the process of doing so that I noticed these two pictures.

The explanation would probably be banal, but it seemed mysterious to me as well!

Do you know if such photo montages were possible at the time?

MAP
    ?

I think some early form of photoshop. If used for propaganda purposes, the first picture is too cluttered. The second looks nicer and more "Uncle Adolf". The second photo's quality is not as good either, further evidence that it has been tampered with.

Just my opinion

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Russians were quite prolific at retouching photos during/after Stalin's Purges...Men disappear from several photos, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Yeah, propaganda was definitely my first thought, but I had difficulty imagining that they would go through such trouble to edit a picture simply for propaganda purposes if they could very easily take better ones that don't have to be edited.

They definitely made a good job. The second photo is indeed of a lesser quality, but is less cropped, so both are not 100% as captured by the camera.

I have seen pictures of Soviet propaganda where they made disgraced people disappear, but that seemed more worthwhile to me. Plus, the ones I've seen had simpler backgrounds and probably didn't imply the sort of work that the ones I've attached did.

In any case, very interesting. I doubt someone will know the specifics about this particular photo, but it definitely caught my curiosity.

On a side note, if a fellow collector is interested in my compilation, I have no trouble sharing with the community.