Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

piece of kamikazi that hit the USS Missouri collectable?

Article about: im very sure of the origin of it my grandfather was on the Missourri and my grandma will tell you the whole story. she even has his enlistment papers his name was Joseph L Tedeschi. im sure

Default Re: piece of kamikazi that hit the USS Missouri collectable?

im very sure of the origin of it my grandfather was on the Missourri and my grandma will tell you the whole story. she even has his enlistment papers his name was Joseph L Tedeschi. im sure it can be proven by dna test of the metal or of the crud on it from the fire. the bent pieces with two big holes in it( i think was a wing brace to hold down the sheet metal on the front curve of the wing) even have some wierd look on ripped end of it where it was in the fire. as for a price i have no idea what.

if they can be confirmed as Japanese plane parts, combined with the stories from your Grandparents... they'd be worth something for sure.

from the online world:

One story, in particular, that caught my attention was that of the Tokkotai (an abbreviation for “Special Attack Unit”) pilots, also known to Americans as “Kamikaze”. I read the information boards on the deck of the ship and stood in awe looking at the pictures of the Japanese A6M “Zero” aircraft dive-bombing into the side of the USS Missouri. The famous picture was taken by the ship’s baker, Seamen Len Schmidt.
    The incident occurred 10 days into the battle of Okinawa. The pilot, believed to be 19-year-old Setsuo Ishino, took off with 15 other pilots from their base at Kanoya. At noon, the USS Missouri is northeast of Okinawa and air defense is sounded as the “Zeke” is spotted on radar 7500 yards out. The Zeke loses altitude rapidly as Mighty Mo’s anti-aircraft fire hits. Miraculously, the pilot regains altitude and speeds through the gunfire, managing to strike the side of Mighty Mo. Fire erupts and debris is sent flying on deck. After the attack, the crew clears the deck of the aircraft’s remains and discovers the pilot’s body among the wreckage.
    As Mighty Mo’s seamen were about to wash the enemy body overboard, Captain William M. Callaghan, Missouri’s commanding officer, orders the ship’s medical team to prepare the body for a burial at sea.
    The body was draped with a Japanese flag sewn by Missouri crew and carried on deck. The crew gathered and offered a hand salute as the Marine rifles aim their weapons skyward to render a salute over the pilot’s remains. Senior Chaplain, Commander Roland Faulk concludes the ceremony by saying, “We command his body to the deep,” and his body is dropped into the ocean.

she definately would sell them she is 83 and not in good health. and that story posted is the one grandpa got it from. i guess he worked in the boiler room and snook up with the firefighters or something. i seen they have the medal of the piolit along with a piece of the kamikaze in the museaum and if they ever tested the componds of it i am 100% positive it would match or if they ever tested the crud on shipdeck or piece from fire

this is also the ship that Japan surrendered on and signed the peace treaty i believe

here is image from story of picture from baker of the plane about to hit

Last edited by lostowl; 11-29-2010 at 04:25 AM.

after reading about this ship tonight (im a history idiot :P) it has an awsome service history. holding the pieces looking at the pic of the plane about to hit is a wierd feeling lol.

would be cooler if i had money to have someone measure the piece with 2 holes in it and pinpoint what section of the plane it was from

i guess the story is grandpa was a boiler room man. snuck up with firefighters ended up having to fight the fire cause commanding officers didnt care if fireman or not. then when it was coming under control he grabbed the piece with 2 holes witch was sitting on the deck he didnt cut it or nothing. went back downstairs then when his firemen buddies came back down one of them cut him off the skinny medal strip with holes in it from a piece he had.

Last edited by lostowl; 11-29-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2