Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Planning a trip to Germany, suggestions please.....

Article about: I'm planning a trip to Europe and will be heading towards Germany. I am seeking advice on the best, or more accurately, the optimal area to visit to take in as many WW2 sites as possible. It

?

Default Planning a trip to Germany, suggestions please.....

I'm planning a trip to Europe and will be heading towards Germany. I am seeking advice on the best, or more accurately, the optimal area to visit to take in as many WW2 sites as possible. It has to be within a reasonable driving distance from Calais so obviously it will need to be western or south western Germany as the route there will be less urban and hopefully less prone to traffic problems.
    However, I don't want to rule out north western Germany quite yet. I would also like to be in an area of landscapes and scenery.
    So, any suggestions will be appreciated and gratefully received............

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: Planning a trip to Germany, suggestions please.....

Seigfreid line i recommend southwest on the border there is still parts left. WW2hunter can fill you in more on this. Also if your going through luxemberg i suggest a meuseum in Diekierch. It Very good that gives moch setup of Amercian crossing the Rhine on bouts. Also some very good looking German setups. Hurgten forest is cool if you do your research. If you dont it not as amazing..... Bastgone, if you been there i suggest by passing it.
    Derrick

Museum in luxemberg
    German.jpgrhine.jpgGerman-1.jpg269900_241010499256022_100000412220508_887778_6260002_n[1].jpg

Drive down the beautiful Rhine, turn left along the river Nekar and visit Sinsheim museum in Speyer!
    Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are plenty of sights to see and plot on the way down

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thank you both for your suggestions.
    Since asking the question I've talked myself into the Schwarzwald, an area I've always wanted to visit so I can refine my request to any suggestions in that area?
    Munich and Dachau are close by and worth a visit, anything else? Any recommendations on towns to stay in?

I sent a couple of nights in Baden-Baden. A beautiful town and a great base to explore the Black Forest.

Nick

Baden-Baden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

The area around the Black Forest is beautiful, and to be honest, if you don't mind putting in the extra driving, then venturing further South is worthwhile. In Germany, the further South you go, the more beautiful the country becomes. That's not to say that the other parts are without picturesque areas, but the Bayern region is one of the most beautiful places anyone could wish to see. The historical sights are plentiful too, with as you say, Dachau and Munchen (beware the horrendous traffic), and Berchtesgaden (a delightful town) with the Kehlsteinhaus (a must see) to name but a few. It is a long way to travel, but very worthwhile. I look forward to seeing your photographs, and reading all about your trip when you have returned. Whatever you choose to do, and wherever you visit, may you be blessed with fine weather, good company and safe and rewarding travels and experiences.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Not to confuse you, but a nice alternative could be to head to Berlin, go on to Nurnberg, then visit Prague. Taking in sights such as Sachsenhausen, Theresienstadt and the many locations of the former Protektorat too...just an idea anyway...maybe for next time...

I agree with Carl on the beauty of Bavaria, and Schloss Neuschwanstein is a gem
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Indeed, a fairytale castle and a must see.

?

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    The area around the Black Forest is beautiful, and to be honest, if you don't mind putting in the extra driving, then venturing further South is worthwhile. In Germany, the further South you go, the more beautiful the country becomes. That's not to say that the other parts are without picturesque areas, but the Bayern region is one of the most beautiful places anyone could wish to see. The historical sights are plentiful too, with as you say, Dachau and Munchen (beware the horrendous traffic), and Berchtesgaden (a delightful town) with the Kehlsteinhaus (a must see) to name but a few. It is a long way to travel, but very worthwhile. I look forward to seeing your photographs, and reading all about your trip when you have returned. Whatever you choose to do, and wherever you visit, may you be blessed with fine weather, good company and safe and rewarding travels and experiences.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Not to confuse you, but a nice alternative could be to head to Berlin, go on to Nurnberg, then visit Prague. Taking in sights such as Sachsenhausen, Theresienstadt and the many locations of the former Protektorat too...just an idea anyway...maybe for next time...
    Thank you Franz, Carl and Nick, Munich, Dachau and Neuschwanstein are definitely on the list.

I went to Berlin a couple of years ago and visited Sachsenhausen amonst other places, there is a thread about my trip to the camp here if you're interested.

Adrian

Have you seen this web site ?

Locations of war cemeteries, castles, fortifications and other interesting things to see.

France - WW2Museums.com

Linked to Google maps so you can plot routes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast