Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Planning a trip to Italy. You can help!

Article about: Hello, all! I have a "problem" on my hands... I will be taking a trip to Italy between July 9th - 25th. I will be staying at the family home in the province of Crotone in the regio

Default Planning a trip to Italy. You can help!

Hello, all!

I have a "problem" on my hands...

I will be taking a trip to Italy between July 9th - 25th. I will be staying at the family home in the province of Crotone in the region of Calabria and taking care of my nonna. I have been to the area numerous times, and I really do love it. As militaria collectors, we can appreciate that Calabria is perhaps the most untouched region of Italy. There are very few tourists, and everything has an old-fashioned feel about it. Just in general, the scenery is amazing, the weather is amazing, the food is amazing... the women are beautiful (don't tell my gf I said that! ).

However, my "problem" is that I will probably be restricted to traveling within the region of Calabria, and I would REALLY like to explore some World War II sites... As I said before, I have been to the area numerous times and all I can find are random small pillboxes guarding empty stretches of beach, and some fascist grafitti on the wall of a relative's home. Last year, by chance, I took a glass-bottomed boat tour with my girlfriend and we saw a cargo ship that the RAF sunk (If I completely understood what the tour guide said...).

As can be seen by this map, troops (British 8th?)did in fact move through Calabria. There must be something World War II related for me to see... battlefields, ammo/ supply dumps... something... ANYTHING!
    AAF-II-p513.jpg

So! I call upon you fine folks to help me find something worthwhile to visit. Are there any World War II sites in Calabria?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION!

Default Re: Planning a trip to Italy. You can help!

I would really like to visit Calabria. I had no idea it saw action during WW2, makes me want to visit it more! I love Norman history, and Calabria played a very important role in the Norman Conquest of lower Italy and Sicily in the 11th century. It is a very historic place.

Regards,

Corey

Default Re: Planning a trip to Italy. You can help!

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    I would really like to visit Calabria. I had no idea it saw action during WW2, makes me want to visit it more! I love Norman history, and Calabria played a very important role in the Norman Conquest of lower Italy and Sicily in the 11th century. It is a very historic place.

Regards,

Corey
    Thanks for the response, Corey!

Calabria really is an amazing place! Within 30mins both east and southeast of my house there are two castles that fit into your area of interest!

Italy2005082.jpgItaly_2_011.jpgItaly2005106.jpgItaly2110.jpgItaly2109.jpg