Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Please and thank you.

Article about: I have noticed lately that a lot of newer members will post an item and after receiving replies, never respond. It seems these chaps were never educated properly to be courteous asking pleas

Quote by Composite View Post
    ....we may as well let them in too.....some one here is bound to respond to them too! :-)
    oh people have!!!

It is a shame that people find the words 'please' and 'thank you' so difficult. Not only on this forum, but in society in general. You'd think manners cost money with the amount of rude and indignant people that walk the earth these days. This seems to be a wider societal problem, rather than one exclusive to this forum.

B.B.

...as I’ve said......it’s down to US to respond accordingly .......and we’re not.

Just talking about it doesn’t change things - WE have to say something in our response or not respond. There is a very small number of members who challenge and then the vast majority who either don’t care or don’t have the b@lls to stand firm. It’s a losing battle being fought by hypocrites in the main.

To help the weaker members, they could simply respond by posting the link to THIS thread....

Oh, and how many Forum members visit this thread anyway????

ahh when I see it I bail it up. In general I can see when and when not to respond on a thread. All is choice.

mmmmm...."choice" won't fix it....CONSISTENCY will....

but enough has been said. I'll leave it now for someone else to raise the same issue again (HERE but not to the posters) in 3 months time.

How do we get this thread in front of everyone rather than hope members go to “Discussion”?

Let them pay (just a small amount, like 50 cent) when they ask they're first question, and refund them when they said the magic word.
    The left over's of the money (if any!) can be used to run the forum.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I was told recently that perhaps we were being unfair re this because English may not be the Posters first language...but I've yet to find a language which omits such pleasantries...so I took a walk through Google Translate looking for other ways to say "please"...and wondered if we dropped this text after their first post rather than jump in with the usual "pick me, pick me, I know the answer" replies:-

Proszę Bitte S'il vous plaît कृप्या пожалуйста Por favour Prašau Vă rog Խնդրում ենք prosím vinsamlegast Vær venlig Моля те Snälla du 请 Σας παρακαλούμε Үгүй ээ Os gwelwch yn dda ביטע Mangyaring per favore Ole kiltti Будь ласка Thov Xahiş edirik PLEASE???

BUT folk will still jump in...or "prefer not to" etc.....yet they'll still complain...and, let's be honest, there's little point in posting anything in this Thread as those Newbies who clearly haven't even looked for Threads associated with what they've got, sure as h3ll won't browse through a "Discussion" Thread.... it needs some air-time in EVERY Thread....

The words "battle", "losing" and "fighting a" come to mind.

PS don't blame me for language errors...it's all Google's fault! :-)

Lately I’ve seen Club members AND Mods reply to impolite (no “please”, no “thank you”) requests from newbies. When this issue is not important to such respected members it is clear that I’m in the minority and I am wasting everyone’s time. I’m sorry.

As a youngster it was ALWAYS impressed upon me to mind my P's & Q's (for those of you who do not know the meaning, look it up), and my children were also taught the same. But it isn't just manners that are lacking on this forum, it has other problems too... and it isn't always the 'newbies' that are guilty of it too. I get totally fed up with posts that usually go along the lines of... HELP... what have I just bought? is it real?' They get their answers, and as already said, they bu**er off into the setting sun until their next purchase of something that they know absolutely nothing about. These 'newcomers' use us as a quick source of information, after all... why bother looking for answers yourself when you can get someone else to do it for you? And all thrown in with free membership too! I will willingly help anyone who does as least try to carry out their own research, but I find myself getting more cynical of some of the posts which are asking for help so frequently. A while back a new member had completely filled the 'new posts' list with his latest finds which he wanted checking.... and not one single word of 'thanks' came afterwards. I won't go into the other issues that get under my skin, but sufficient to say that this usually boils down to downright bad manners and downright nastiness.

Ade... (Composite), you are not alone in what you think about this problem!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast