Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

A poem for the poppy abusers:

Article about: Always one for a bit of controversy, this one was sent to my phone from a good friend of mine, Mark. I thought i share it with you............ This land was built from blood and tears. The s

Default Re: A poem for the poppy abusers:

I for one would love to go to England and I am planning on doing so.

Every place will have its ups and downs. I'm sure even a place like Mogadishu has advantages over Western society. We should take advantage of what our environments have to offer and help each other out. If I saw in politics what I see on this forum with regards to cooperation and helpfulness, we would have a much better world to live in.

Now, since none of that had absolutely anything to do with the original purpose of this thread, I have to say that I like the OP's poem a lot, and if I were British like the rest of you then it would be my battle cry.

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    There have been some wise words and thoughts put down here and equally some poorly chosen and expressed views too. Do not turn the thread into a platform to air negative opinions about any country, race or political leaning. Everyone will have a different opinion and I would like to suggest you think before you type on this one and if there is any possibility you might cause offence then please refrain from posting.
    The thread (I hope) was not created for members to slag off other members countries or chosen ways of life. Show some tolerance in the same way you expect others to tolerate you and your opinions - which, on reflection, is almost the purpose of the thread.
    A post that's hits the nail on the head that reflects the general quality of what you have to say Adrian !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Darren Lillington View Post
    Hate to tell you mate but ask any Vet, they will tell you it wasnt about queen or country, they fight to try to keep themselvs and their buddies alive and to accomplish whatever objectives lay ahead.

Your sticking up of for England becouse you love it and thats fine, dosent mean others should share your beleifs, also your pretty much saying all that left are cowards if not traitors. We left becouse we were smart enough to see the country was on a downhill slope, falling to peices and wasnt getting any better eg. High crime rate, Employment on an all time low, the cost of living too much for the average person, terrible economy, etc etc.

The way you talk, you think the sun shines out of englands Arse. you said - So you think no other country is beautiful? or has nice friendly people?, When you said Britain is still GREAT in your mind i can beleive that, you need to snap out of the dream and wake up and see England for what it is.

I don't mean to offend, im mearly putting my opinion forward but i apologize for hijacking the thread a little.

Cheers-

D.L.
    Despite your apology your " don't mean to offend " statement post is the exact opposite and is very offensive !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Hpl2008 DL
    Cheers ! Steve.

?

Thanks Andreas !!

1st July 1916

Nice one Andreas......................Sorry I started the thread now it's turned into something I NEVER ENVISAGED!
    It wasn't to slate this country, just the feeling and maddness of the moment.

?

No worries John mate no one could have envisaged some of the comments that have been made here !!

1st July 1916

I certainly hope that I am not being considered one of the members who has "slagged off" this country of ours of which I am extremely proud to be a subject of. If anyone of you thinks that my posting of the Parody of Kipling's poem is meant as a slight, then I suggest you enlighten yourselves to his original version which is written with the same sentiments, only a hundred years ago, the soldiers thoughts and feelings have changed little in those years passed.

As for those of you who whinge that Great Britain is 'broken' and you want out, then bloody well go, don't make excuses regarding family and such, just shut up if you can't live up to your perceived convictions.

I have lived and worked in Africa and the States and have seen the good and bad in both those continents, but I choose to live here. Many years ago, when I was doing a HNC in engineering, my head of faculty was an elderly German chap named Gerald Cordbrunning who was captured on Guernsey at the end of the war and sent back here as a POW. On his release, he married a local girl, he never returned home to his family as they were now in Eastern Germany, so settled here into a career in industry. One day we were gently teasing him about Germany and the war, as young lads do. He turned round to us and said " You don't know how lucky you lot are, you have been born and live in the best country in the world..." That has always stuck with me.

So, for you that have had enough, make the effort to attain your dreams, don't just moan and do nothing, or make excuses. Personally I don't give a f***-a-doodle-doo what you choose, just put up or shut up with your inane bleatings, it's embarrassing to read and has no place here.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    I certainly hope that I am not being considered one of the members who has "slagged off" this country of ours of which I am extremely proud to be a subject of. If anyone of you thinks that my posting of the Parody of Kipling's poem is meant as a slight, then I suggest you enlighten yourselves to his original version which is written with the same sentiments, only a hundred years ago, the soldiers thoughts and feelings have changed little in those years passed.
    Ned you were never considered as slagging off the country mate , i loved the modern remake of Kiplings famous soldiers poem !!

As for the remainder of your post above i can only heartily concur !!

1st July 1916

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast