Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: What badges, pins and insignia offer the best investment potential?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron Cross (EK)

16 29.63%
  • Wound Abzeichen

1 1.85%
  • Heeres Abzeichen

4 7.41%
  • Luftwaffe Abzeichen (Fallschirmjager separate - below)

7 12.96%
  • Kriegsmarine Abzeichen

4 7.41%
  • SS & Waffen-SS Insignia & Pins

33 61.11%
  • NSDAP Abzeichen, Insignia & Pins

9 16.67%
  • SA Abzeichen, Insignia & Pins

2 3.70%
  • Other (DLV, NSFK, NSKK, etc.) Abzeichen, Insignia & Pins

0 0%
  • Fallschirmjager Abzeichen & Insignia

17 31.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Poll - Best Investments in Third Reich (WW2) Badges

Article about: Hello All, Let's take a vote on which badges (abzeichen) represent the best investment. By best investment I mean their potential to either hold their value or increase in value. Let's assum

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Anyway, there's only 39 voters in the poll. Not a true reflection really. SS will come out on top all ends up IMO. Stewy
    What happened to this Luther personage?

Very intriguing how some of these threads become a kind of ghost town within a brief time.

Do these people all wander off to some other site which is, perhaps, better than ours?

Or is this example emblematic of the attention span of the on line person in a state of perpetual distraction?

My motivation with remnants of the past is my own deep need for continuity with the dead, which is now a much more dominant aspect of life as mine is fading away.

To treat these things like shares in Walmart is really a very odd idea.

People who also venture into SS regalia without adequate training and education and who then seek to make a profit are going to be awfully sorry in the end.

May I also say that, without exception, the dealers whom I have helped have all then taken advantage of me, often with a cynicism which deserves

a sharp response.

On the other hand, I see little merit in constantly bemoaning dealers, any more than I see much merit in complaining about the robbery that has become the norm

in the economy, generally.

Friedrich, I'm with you I know what you're saying. I'm a collector, not a seller. The "gain" from TR stuff has never been my goal either. I have some groupings that I bought purely to stop them being split & I do collect what interests me. I think you may of misconstrued my post. Stewy

Friedrich, I'm with you I know what you're saying. I'm a collector, not a seller. The "gain" from TR stuff has never been my goal either. I have some groupings that I bought purely to stop them being split & I do collect what interests me. I think you may of misconstrued my post. Stewy
    Thank you. You and I are of the same school. It is this odd Luther person whose motives I question, but my statement is more one of despair with a whole dogma that sees all of this in a Spencerian dog eat dog social darwinism of this awful epoch.

In the process, certain of these people ascribe to me motives and an attitude totally alien to me. We also waste a huge amount of time helping people who, then, are not
    really interested in the details of the past, but exploit us to improve their "investments" and so forth. Ergo, my arch tone.

Others constantly lament about the injustices of the world and focus on their longing for SS regalia as a Geiger counter of the friction of social strife and so forth.
    I have enough problems in my life without finding polite ways to work around these issues which are extraneous to the search for knowledge connected with regalia.

I have never been a dealer, but I have almost always made a profit with what I have infrequently sold, but that was never a strategic goal.

I also think there is much poetry and merit in all kinds of III. Reich things, so long as they are authentic.

I also collect propaganda books of all kinds, which are not especially desirable and also not faked, thank God.

Happy collecting to you.

By the way Friedrich, I like your uniforms etc. If I were to go down that road, my old woman would do her lid! Thanks for showing my friend. Kind regards, Stewy

By the way Friedrich, I like your uniforms etc. If I were to go down that road, my old woman would do her lid! Thanks for showing my friend. Kind regards, Stewy
    Thank you. I am glad you like them. I prefer to see the insignia where they originally resided, not the least as a point of reference for the new collector.

No one wants to disturb your wife and your household. My wife is very tolerant of mine, as she has a deep interest in the second world war, and she is the

beneficiary of my heap of textiles when I presently sell them. In retrospect, they morphed into an investment, but never by design. When I started,

the things really just were total junk and essentially worthless. They acquired worth, I guess, in the inflationary hysteria of the 1970s when I built my collection.

Happy collecting to you and I will show you more of these things, if it pleases you. That's my goal. I desire to share what I have with a wider audience, especially so others can learn from it. For this, I garner constant brickbats about social injustice and the evils of books.

All the best to you, FB

Indeed Friedrich. I will never give an items value to a member (usually with few posts). When all they want to know is originality & value. Because I know where the thread is going. Unfortunately we see it all too often. IMO discussing values should be outlawed from threads, it has NO place in a collectors world. It's the sort of thing that poisons this hobby. Hope you know what I mean. Regards, Stewy.

Indeed Friedrich. I will never give an items value to a member (usually with few posts). When all they want to know is originality & value. Because I know where the thread is going. Unfortunately we see it all too often. IMO discussing values should be outlawed from threads, it has NO place in a collectors world. It's the sort of thing that poisons this hobby. Hope you know what I mean. Regards, Stewy.
    In addition, the survey is biased because only able to give a vote, almost always for the SS's stuff because it is the most attractive, the most searching and therefore the most expensive (simple law of supply and demand), but no one thinks that the other items are bad investments, as supposed to the wound badge and NSFK a "bottleneck" is formed in that area, I think, personally, that the survey is ill-conceived from the start

Quite true Dan. But hopefully threads like this will only attract collectors & not others. Due to the fact they can't answer the points raised or just avoid this type of thread as it's of no interest to them. I think it's enlightening to read collectors views on the subject. As you say the poll serves for very little. But a decent discussion with no mud throwing is worth while IMO. Well done to all that have replied for your insights & thoughts. Thank you! This is what a forum should be, thank you. Stewy

Quote by Steven Macquillin View Post
    For me it have to be anything SS, would love to be able to afford a good condition SS camo helmet. But there again any item which is rare and sort after will be of the highest value & investment. I have found that this collecting hobby has it's ups and downs as time go's by. We all have our own field in collecting and it is nice to see a lot of it on this forum.
    Have just been on the 'Classified Adds' on the forum and as I suspected, anything SS commands a much higher price than any other item. Have also looked on a couple of other sites that are genuine and found the same. It just seems that the mention of the word 'SS' has a sort of magnetic appeal to collectors, everybody wants a piece of it and collectors pay a high price for that. IMO these prices are way over the top but while collectors are willing to pay these prices, they will stay high and can not see it changing in the near future.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3