Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pricing bargains you have found (when it comes to selling them on)

Article about: Thought this might be an interesting thing to discuss that probably effects us all at some point whilst collecting. More or less everyone has gets fantastic deals at some point or other, but

Default Pricing bargains you have found (when it comes to selling them on)

Thought this might be an interesting thing to discuss that probably effects us all at some point whilst collecting. More or less everyone has gets fantastic deals at some point or other, but what should you do when it comes to re-selling that particular piece? The logical thing to do would be to sell the item for its true value. Sounds simple enough but a while ago when I listed some of my collection for sale on another forum I listed all the items at their value, however this was more than what I paid for them originally and for that reason I got a bit of hassle and a few negative comments about it. Because of this I reduced a few of the prices, the items sold but weeks later I found the same items on ebay on which they sold for more than I sold them for.

So what do you guys think......

Should you sell items for their true value even though this might be more than you paid for them or put a price closer to what you paid for them and risk seeing the same items re-sold weeks later?

Thanks

Danny

Default Re: Pricing bargains you have found (when it comes to selling them on)

Hmmm... good point, well here are my views although mixed, as a buyer i love a good deal (who doesn't) but as a seller on eBay i also love to make a profit. If i was you i would sell them at their true market value and don't worry about what they cost you, you have to see it as an investment. However, i would think it would be great if you could sell items at a price which is lower than the market value but still making a profit so everybody is happy, but it would be best to do this if you know they are a true collector and not just in it to make money =D
    Thanks, Glen.

Hi Danny

A good question!

I would sell at whatever price I think the market would pay. I would do a bit of research and test that market. If unsure start high and bring the price down if needed. I suppose if people see you buy at a price and then notice you immediately put it up for sale at a higher price, they may view that as unethical but there are no rules against it as far as I know.
    Sometimes you need patience as the item may take time to sell but if it is worth that price someone will buy it

Nick

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hello Danny,

A difficult question to answer, and it depends on how much of a bargain it was, what is it's market value, under what circumstances was the purchase made and who you are selling it to.

I mostly try to price items, on the infrequent occasions that I am selling items, at a little under the market value, but when I sold a bargain Dkig in cloth that was being sold as a repro and I thought I would take a chance because it looked right to my inexperienced eye, I sold that for about half it's market value, which was 4 times what I had paid for it. A reasonable deal, IMO, as it was still cheap to the buyer, but I was rewarded for taking a chance, with a good profit.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

i sell at the market value, it doesnt matter what you gave for something even if it was a lucky bargain find, i have taken a few chances on items that paid off but also had a few that i lost a few ££ on but nobody gives you money when you lose out , i dont care if somebody paid £1 for a d/d ss helmet if i wanted it at the going rate i would buy it no matter what they paid , rgds Dave

I collect ground dugs; never had anybody who said : "you can have it I just found it...!"
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

My 2 cents is sell at market value and if you need money then adjust the price till it sells. Other people should not tell you how price your items. It up to you it your item.

?

Hello

I think if you spend the time to look through all the adds and find a bargain you deserve to make a profit !

Kind regards
    Alex