Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A Proud Moment.

Article about: Congratulations James, a well earned degree! Nice to see the student beard has gone. Now, put down your Pot Noodle, cold baked beans, Asda Smart price lager and go and get a job!

Default Re: A Proud Moment.

Personally...I always thought the beard gave him a kind of "U-Boat" sailor look....lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Congratulations James!

?

James, Congratulations to you for successfully completing your degree! And to Vicky too, who I'm sure helped you to get to the finish line. Masters next - It sounds like you have got the history bug. Do you have particular topic in mind to research for your dissertation?

Philip

Congrats.

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    James, Congratulations to you for successfully completing your degree! And to Vicky too, who I'm sure helped you to get to the finish line. Masters next - It sounds like you have got the history bug. Do you have particular topic in mind to research for your dissertation?

Philip
    I don't as such but I am thinking hard about it. The trouble is finding the perfect balance between something original and something that will interest me sufficiently to see it through to the finish. I am looking at something to do with the First World War. Its a tough one

?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I don't as such but I am thinking hard about it. The trouble is finding the perfect balance between something original and something that will interest me sufficiently to see it through to the finish. I am looking at something to do with the First World War. Its a tough one
    Yes, its never easy to produce the idea for an interesting and worthwhile thesis 'to order', although often academics have a 'list' of topics that one day they might like to research but never get round to, that they would be prepared to share with a keen student. That said, its so much better when it comes out of your existing interests - sometimes it can be some little detail or chance discovery which opens out into a new and fruitful investigation. Although I don't speak with any special knowledge of the historiography of the Great War, it is such a colossal and titanic episode that there must space for countless new studies to be undertaken. For example, a few years ago, in connection with my current project I was trying to find something solid about Officer Cadet Battalions - my subject was a member of one - but found nothing substantial. To ramble on a bit more, I always think local studies are a great thing - they offer the opportunity to study something in really great detail and to immerse oneself in the sources; such projects are also a great way of learning the historian's craft - creating a new narrative out of many fragments from local papers and county archives etc.

Congratulations mate, and well done on studying something you are passionate about. If you have a genuine interest in your chosen field it comes through in the grades you achieve. I don't think you'll have too many dramas there, great stuff mate!

Congratulations, James! I'm sure that's a huge burden off your shoulders. Remember, true education comes from life's experiences, not just a piece of paper on a wall after spending so many hours in a classroom. So go out and learn. My wife teaches at a University, and she would tell you that the best education she ever received didn't cost her a cent....or quid, if you will It was when she took the knowledge she had paid for in the classroom and applied it to the real world, that's when her true education began.

I'm rambling, so congratulations, again!

Well done!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Congratulations James on a fine achievement..you will be Great Sentinel and caretaker for History. Cheers Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3