Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Publishing WW2 Diary

Article about: Hello all, Just a quick question. I've recently bought a few diaries and paperwork of a soldier in India and Africa during WW2. I haven't received them yet but should in a few days. I am hop

Default Re: Publishing WW2 Diary

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Thank you! Its all so confusing! The seller says she bought them of someone etc etc...so a hell of a paper trail. Unless i win the lottery and become creative overnight, i see little financial gain in making a film

I just wanted to make sure i could share it without stepping on any legal toes
    The editor of a work is the copyright owner of the editors work in addition to the author of the original work, this applies if there are a number of editors each will own the copyright in their own editorial work as well as the author.

The compilers of a compilation work or even a listing are copyright owners as well as the author of each part of a compilation work....unless the work is carried out under a work-for-hire agreement in US law then the commissioner of the work is the copyright owner not the editor(s). The UK law does not recognise work-for-hire agreements. Copyright law is complex as there are so many sub-rights to take into account in publishing any work
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

As has been said, if i put them on here for you all to see i am merely sharing an item of my collection. What annoys me, is the owner of these diaries sold them on. Im assuming this is a relative of the late owner. So they obviously weren't interested. However, if it were to be published, they would soon become interested in their relatives history. Cases like this i imagine stop a lot of people sharing the history the have of soldiers and their diaries etc...Rant over

I recently transcribed the complete diary of a B24 bombardier in the Pacific on this forum:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/docs-...acific-188862/

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I recently transcribed the complete diary of a B24 bombardier in the Pacific on this forum:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/docs-...acific-188862/
    Very nice! How long did it take? Apparently the 6 diaries are full and are pretty large books. Will keep me out of trouble for a while.

As a rather famous gentleman once said.......

"PUBLISH AND BE DAMNED!!"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Army cadet paperwork? Interesting, im in the army cadets as a trainee NCO right now.
    Looking forward to seeing the diary!

Quote by Ben1596 View Post
    Army cadet paperwork? Interesting, im in the army cadets as a trainee NCO right now.
    Looking forward to seeing the diary!
    It's certainly a mixture of paperwork all for the one man.

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Very nice! How long did it take? Apparently the 6 diaries are full and are pretty large books. Will keep me out of trouble for a while.
    It took approximately 10days to transcribe the handwritten text in the diary. A little longer to type up all of the extra bits that were in there (letters, newspaper clippings, poems, etc.). I had to take a few days off here and there due to straining my eyes and also just not enough free time.

Transcribing that diary was a labor of love for me and I spent ~2+ hours a day on it and often set up at the local library so my family wouldn't bother me!

The worst part was trying to decipher the quirks in the bombardier's handwriting style and also figuring out the obscure names of exotic South Pacific locales. Specifically, the way he wrote "Nadzab" and "Tacloban" (airfields in New Guinea and the Philippines) was almost illegible! I spent hours typing in words with letter combinations that seemed to work until I finally got it right. At one point, I was so frustrated that I walked around the library with the diary in-hand asking random people what they thought those jumble of letters said!

Haha! At least if i can share the workload with James. Im looking forward to seeing what it contains and how the other bits and pieces. The pictures show what i've got coming...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you have like 4X the workload that I did!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast