MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

A question for collectors.

Article about: Hello Guys and Gals, Here is the question that I have been thinking of. If one item in your collection could talk, it doesn't matter what, whether it is a bullet casing or a Me-262, what wou

Rob, that is cool if you have the proof. That is a one-of-a-kind item, even if it wasn't owned by P.L.K.

If any piece in my collection had a real story to tell,
    I think it might be my John Ek Commando knife.

It is named to a US. Special Forces Capt. and was
    sent back to the Ek factory from Vietnam to have
    a cross guard added. John Ek sent the Captain a
    new knife with cross guard and kept this knife in the
    Ek showroom for years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

If an item could talk, I would like to know the name of the German POW that put together this carved jeep for my great-uncle.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

CMH

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Mine would be so much more personal than those posted previously....

This small slightly frayed photo is one of only four that remains of my family's life in Poland.

So, I would ask my grandmother in the center of this photo to tell me where she lived and died after the war in Poland, having survived KL Ravensbruck, KL Sachsenhausen and KL- Genthin between 1941 -45. I would like to ask my grandfather on the right what his fate during WWII and if he died during the war or survived and where, and if I have any family that survived the war in Poland.

Attachment 691473

My late father is the young teen on the left of the photo, he never saw any of his family again after being deported himself from Warsaw in August 1942 - a few months after this family Christmas photo was taken.

There is nothing in else in my collection that I would gladly give my soul to be able to hear their tale.
    Very nice addition. Thanks

Wow DrCMH. Did the POW put that together in the camp or after the war? Sorry, it has been a hectic couple of days so I just saw this.

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    respect
    Big like

?

Sometimes it more about a group of items, tied to a particular individual or point in time, and separation is not a viable option. I've just realized that I've never posted this group and its associated history on this particular forum, I will have to rectify that at some point.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG
    Regards,
    John

Relicz, you have a lot of stuff just from that one guy. That is awesome and pretty hard to come by.

?

Quote by Lockley16 View Post
    Wow DrCMH. Did the POW put that together in the camp or after the war? Sorry, it has been a hectic couple of days so I just saw this.
    As I understand, it was assembled in the camp with just bits of scrap during the final months of the war. The body, tires, and jerrycan were carved from wood. The detail is remarkable, there is even "tread" on the tires. The seats are wire frames with a bit of canvas cut and fit. I have wondered if the POW had a model to go off and perhaps painted the markings on the bumper exactly as he saw them, perhaps making the item's origin a bit more traceable. The fellow who made it struck up a friendship with my great-uncle and painted my great-aunt's name just below the windscreen. It's a nice piece of family history.

?

Quote by StefanM View Post
    Mine would be so much more personal than those posted previously....

This small slightly frayed photo is one of only four that remains of my family's life in Poland.

So, I would ask my grandmother in the center of this photo to tell me where she lived and died after the war in Poland, having survived KL Ravensbruck, KL Sachsenhausen and KL- Genthin between 1941 -45. I would like to ask my grandfather on the right what his fate during WWII and if he died during the war or survived and where, and if I have any family that survived the war in Poland.

Attachment 691473

My late father is the young teen on the left of the photo, he never saw any of his family again after being deported himself from Warsaw in August 1942 - a few months after this family Christmas photo was taken.

There is nothing in else in my collection that I would gladly give my soul to be able to hear their tale.
    Stefan,

Thank you for sharing you family photo. It is, by far, the most personal thing posted here and conveys the terrible costs that so many families incurred due to this wretched war.

CMH

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast